[Dryerase] You won’t hear Steve Earle’s latest on the radio - but you should

Asheville Global Report editors at agrnews.org
Sun Oct 13 16:33:33 CDT 2002

You won’t hear Steve Earle’s latest on the radio - but you should

By Nicholas Holt

(AGR)--  Tune your radio for what passes as country music these days and
you might hear the following words being sung:
“Now this nation I love has fallen under attack./A mighty sucker punch came
flying in from somewhere in the back./Soon as we could see clearly though
our big black eye/Man we lit up your world like the forth of July
 It’s
gonna be feel like the whole wide world is raining down on you/Brought to
you courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue [sic.]!” (Courtesy of the Red,
White, and Blue by Toby Keith)
Not a big surprise really. A cheery celebration of the murder of thousands
of innocents to avenge the murder of thousands of other innocents belted
out by a man who sings like a moose backed by his band of Muzac studio
extras. Just what one could safely expect from Nashville Inc. in the days
of the Bush Doctrine. Now compare Keith’s reactionary anthem  with these lines:
“Four score and a hundred and fifty years ago/our forefathers made us equal
as long as we could pay.”
Or: “Better be careful someone might hear ya/The walls have ears and the
sky has eyes.”
Or even: “But Allah had some other plan some secret not revealed/Now
they’re draggin’ me back with my head in a sack/To the land of the infidel.”
Steve Earle, who sings the above lines on his new album Jerusalem (Artemis
Records/E Squared) you won’t hear on commercial country radio, not least of
all because he plays, well, country music, as in the music that came down
the mountains with men like Earl Scruggs and Merle Travis and was picked up
by Johnny Cash and Hank Williams, musicians that guys like Toby Keith,
Garth Brooks, and their like have no business being shelved anywhere near
in the CD store.
Earle, a five-time Grammy nominee, is an extraordinary songwriter who, by
all appearances, has little concern for what will or won’t make heavy
rotation on Country Music Television.
About Jerusalem, he writes “This is a political record because there seems
no other proper response to the place we’re at now
Freedoms, American
freedoms, things voted into law as American freedoms, everything that came
out of the 1960’s, are disappearing, and as any patriot can see, that has
to be opposed.”
Imagine Jim Hightower with a guitar, a progressive populist from Texas, a
left leaning redneck, admiring of Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, and
Patrick Henry, but more likely to sing about Emma Goldman, Malcolm X, Joe
Hill, or Abby Hoffman.
Or John Walker Lindh.
Jerusalem attracted media attention far before it’s September release for
the song “John Walker’s Blues,” a speculative exploration of  the mind and
motivations of the “American Taliban”:
“I’m just an American Boy-raised on MTV/And I’ve seen all those kids in the
soda pop bands/But none of ‘em looked like me./I started lookin’ around for
a light out of the dim/And the first thing I heard that made sense was the
word/Of Mohammed, peace be upon him.”
The song, possibly the most memorable both thematically and musically on
the album, has earned Earle comparisons to “Hanoi Jane” Fonda and cheap
shots about his lack of superstardom. A review in The New York Post titled
“Twisted Ballad Honors Tali-rat” and written by a reviewer apparently
unfamiliar with the notion of narrative-voice in songwriting accused Earle
of glorifying Walker and comparing him to Jesus.
“I’m trying to make clear that wherever [Lindh] got to, he didn’t arrive
there in a vacuum,” writes Earle. “I don’t condone what he
did
Fundamentalism, as practiced by the Taliban, is the enemy of real
thought, and religion, too. But there are circumstances
the culture here
didn’t impress him, so he went out looking for something to believe in.”
Earle has been a long time and outspoken opponent of the death penalty and
landmines, voiced his support for the Zapatistas, and, here in an interview
with the AP, has been known to make such observations as “capitalism is
fundamentally oppressive because it depends on the service of labor in
order to thrive.”
The songs on Jerusalem touch on conflict  in the Middle East, government
surveillance, and the struggles of an ill-treated maquiladora worker, but
also includes songs about the more traditional themes of prison life,
lonely cowboys, and lost love, and country luminary Emmylou Harris makes an
appearance for a duet titled “I Remember You.”
Earle, who possesses a full voice at once warm but scarred from past
tendencies towards self-destruction conveying a steady attitude that
suggests a starring contest with its possessor would be ill advised, is
also a tremendous musician, equally impressive whether wrestling with an
over-distorted six-string, finger picking a quiet ballad, or working out a
bluegrass tune on the mandolin.
Jerusalem will please both long time country music listeners and those
looking for a good introduction to the genre. It is a truly impressive work.