[Dryerase] The Alarm!--Eye on the INS 10-4-02

The Alarm!Newswire wires at the-alarm.com
Thu Oct 17 22:44:20 CDT 2002

Put down the newspaper and step away from the water cooler

By Michelle Stewart
The Alarm! Newspaper Collective

It is easy to read a headline and become outraged. If the story is
exceptionally sensational, the names and details will remain in the
press for a few days—maybe a week at the most. However, all to a
commonly the outrage fades as the media turns its attention to a new
“top” story.

We forget that behind the headlines are people who still have to live
their lives after the camera crews leave.

On September 12, 2002 one nurse from Georgia and three Muslim men
traveling to Florida captured the public imagination. As the story
unfolded, we were given the tale of a woman who overheard a discussion,
called the police and became a national hero. Of the men, we were given
a story of three medical students who played a “prank” on a restaurant
snoop. The end result of their chance encounter was a widely-publicized
traffic stop that resulted in the shutdown of a major highway in
Florida, a 17-hour detention, the loss of internships and a lot of
primetime cable squabbling on behalf of both parties. And then a new
story. That week’s big story was the Alligator Alley traffic stop; last
week it was Madelyne Gorman Toogood (the mother who was caught beating
her child on a department store surveillance camera). The story of the
three medical students is filed into the archives of our collective
memory.

Of course, it should come as no surprise that the story did not end
with the final coverage of it on CNN. Indeed the tale continues as
Eunice Stone tries to fade out of the public eye—the controversy
reportedly caused her so much stress she had to be hospitalized—and the
three medical students Ayman Gheith, 27, Kambiz Butt, 25 and Omar
Choudhary, 23 continue their battle to clear their names.

Last week Altaf Ali, director of the Florida chapter of the Council on
American-Islamic Relations, reported that the three students had come
to an agreement with Larkin Community Hospital in Florida to be allowed
to continue their internships, at nearby hospitals and doctor’s offices.

In a related matter, Dr. Enrique Fernandez, another doctor from Larkin,
claims he was removed from his post when he attempted to assist the
three students in finding another hospital in the Miami area to host
them. As one of the coordinators of the three men’s education,
Fernandez worked through Ross University in Chicago to arrange the
internship in Florida. He was notified a week ago that his position was
terminated without notice. Larkin/Ross claim the decision was an
internal matter.

Another related, though muffled, matter is coming from local law
enforcement who have stated the 17-hour incident was the most expensive
traffic stop in the history of Florida. At a cost of $100,000, law
enforcement is also reeling in the wake of Eunice Stone’s phone call
from Georgia.

But this is the information that is not so interesting to the
public—where the students do their internship, or who will pay for the
costly traffic stop is not the stuff of water cooler discussions in the
workplace. And why is that?

How many words in this column, in the New York Times, Los Angeles
Times, La Opinion will have to be devoted to stories of immigrants
dying in the desert before we respond, how many more stories, words,
articles about racial profiling in airports, fingerprinting men from
Middle-Eastern countries, INS detainees? And the list goes on.  How
many times can the story be told, with different names and places,
before we, as the general public, get off our collective derrières and
respond?

Many of us pick up the paper everyday, we skim the headlines, we nod or
shake our heads depending on the stories—we often follow the stories
for a day or two if we are interested. Yet we do nothing but read the
story. If we are enraged we might tell a friend.

Picking up the newspaper everyday to become momentarily annoyed is
ludicrous; as we allow ourselves to become increasingly complacent the
landscape is changing.

It is easy to lounge about in this armchair-opinion existence when it
is the rights of others being stripped (directly) and not our own. We
are experiencing a nativist moment the likes of which may challenge the
anti-immigration backlashes of the 20s and 50s. The borders of the US
are rapidly slamming shut, the target is anyone who is not native born.
Unabashedly, the federal government has placed an ethnic target on all
that is Middle-Eastern or Arab—the public has joined suit and extended
that honor to anyone of similar appearance. All the while INS continues
to target Mexico and Central America’s migrants with equal diligence.

The federal government and its various agencies are doing a bang-up job
of insuring people are both ostracized and targeted.  Do we as a public
need to back them up with our passivity? Are we so submissive that we
only read the headlines, shake our heads—silently thankful that their
sights were not set on us? If so, our complacency is guaranteeing the
government will be allowed to further expand its sights.

Since 9/11, the assault on immigrant rights has been colossal. However,
the assault was mounted prior to the Twin Towers. Ideology and policy
were not crafted in the past year. The history of immigration in the US
is such that the “rights” of others are often left in the rubble.
Consider the thousands who have died trying to cross into the US, the
thousands detained or deported after 9/11. I believe if you truly
consider these matters, you will find yourself reacting, rather than
continuing the fleeting water cooler discussions.

      All content Copyleft © 2002 by The Alarm! Newspaper. Except where
noted otherwise, this material may be copied and distributed freely in
whole or in part by anyone except where used for commercial purposes or
by government agencies.