[Dryerase] The Alarm!--Graffiti as social resistance

The Alarm!Newswire wires at the-alarm.com
Thu Oct 17 22:45:05 CDT 2002

Graffiti as social resistance/reclaiming public space

By durt
The Alarm! Newspaper Contributor

Possibly the first time I ever went out spraypainting was when I was in
high school in San Francisco when I was 15. A few friends and I went
out to Ocean Beach at three in the morning or some such crazy hour.
This was before the huge wall separating the street and the sand got
painted over and there still was artwork and scrawlings from the
80s—and even some from the 70s—all up and down the beach. I don’t even
remember what kind of paint or even what color it was, but I do
remember the excitement and rush I got when I painted the first durt
monster on the concrete wall. As far as graffiti art pieces go, it was
messy and simplistic. It was a very clear moment for me, when I felt
like a part of the long history of graffiti as an artform, and felt
happy to be doing something a little bit different as a white queer
gurl from the city. At the time, I had also just self-published my
first zine called durt that had a lot of poetry and art from my
friends. Graffiti became a way for me to advertise for it. This was the
beginning of my participation in The Lost Tribe and Super Froot as a
crew of kids (mostly punks), and the beginning of my passion for street
art and graffiti as an artistic and political movement.

In San Francisco, I spent quite a bit of time running around the city
making art wherever and whenever I could. Today, I spend less time at
it, but that’s mostly because I don’t have my crew down here with me. I
know of a few graffiti writers in Santa Cruz (like Ideal and gerl), but
other than that, I’ve been pretty cut off from other artists. I think
this isolation has to do with the stigma around graffiti. No one really
wants to speak out as graff artists because of the law. Ever since
Proposition 21—California legislation that targeted youth by
incarcerating them earlier and more often, and by allowing cops to do
more surveillance on anyone suspected of being in a “gang”—was passed
there have been increasing crackdowns on graffiti. In Santa Cruz there
has been a fuss over strengthening the Graffiti Enforcement Team that
investigates graffiti cases and teaches TAG (Talking About Graffiti)
classes for cited “vandals” and their parents. There have been
suggestions that Santa Cruz should model its enforcement on San Jose’s
method: first time offenders do 66 hours for a Weekend Paint Program,
second time offenders do 132, third time is a felony, with additional
penalties: fines, suspension of licenses and house arrest with an ankle
monitor somewhere along the way. Somehow I’ve managed to skirt the
cops, and whenever I get a chance I like drawing on the sidewalks of
this town.

Graffiti art is like most other art forms in terms of its messages,
both personal and political. However, there is an element to graffiti
wherein it is ultimately political because it is illegal. Graffiti has
gotten a bad name. Many people think of it as defacement of property.
Even more people probably object to graffiti on private property.
Graffiti has gotten a bad name for other reasons as well, mostly
because of territorial disputes and mopetitiion between crews and
individual artists. The general public sees graffiti and thinks
“gangs.” I know that there is violence surrounding graffiti in some
situations. But for me, graffiti is not about violence. It is about
freedom of expression, and, if anything, is a release of emotion, truth
and reality. I’m not interested in competing with anyone. I’m all about
appreciating the beauty of other people’s art and writing as much as
possible myself.

Inspiration and Beautification
I like to paint with spray cans, but I also like making stickers,
stencils, using pens and shoe polish. In San Francisco, I pretty much
like all the stuff my friends do: icide, special, eyesoar, disease. I
also really like Superstar and Heart 101’s artwork. A lot of great art
is in the Mission in San Francisco, including in the Pond Gallery and
Mission Badlands/Balazo Gallery on 24th and Mission Streets.

For me, guerrilla art/graffiti art has been an essential part of my
life. When I see graffiti art that is beautiful and has a distinctive
political/personal message, then my creative energy is restored. Mostly
I think graffiti needs to encourage positive action and connection to
community. I love seeing statements that keep me going and keep me
excited about humanity. Like when you see a sticker and realize that
someone else in the world/community actually cares! I think graffiti is
a way for me to express feelings about humanity and political issues,
and be able to reach a large audience. I hope to be able to reach
people I wouldn’t usually get to talk to about issues of war, sexism or
fatphobia.

Being a gurl artist seems to complicate matters. Most of the graffiti
artists I know are guys. I know there are a ton of women street artists
out there. Let’s form a crew. Going out by yourself is a great way to
prove you’re tough, but I’m more interested in having a good time with
artists and friends. For me, there’s no need to prove myself as an
artist. My style comes from a place of not really caring what other
folks think of me. I don’t know sometimes if I can really call myself a
graffiti artist because my style is pretty sloppy and unskilled. I just
like drawing messy monsters and happy creatures all over the place. I
also like drawing hearts with anarchy signs in them and writing things
like “no f**king war” and “riots not diets.” I’m not really trying to
be skilled at it, I’m just putting my own form of kind of simplistic
expression into the world to try and make some people smile.

I might even want to organize doing a mural somewhere in Santa Cruz
legitimately (legally), like the artwork at the Teen Center and Motion
Pacific by Elijah. A long term goal I have is to get as many gurls,
trans folk and feminists as possible to get together and take over the
boring grey freeway underpasses, telephone polls—anywhere there is
public, blank, sterile concrete—and transform them into artistic
expressions of resistance and revolutionary joy.

“Why do you do graffiti?”
Its fun. I meet interesting people. It’s pretty liberating to be able
to make a statement and beautify the place where you live. I always try
to encourage people to express themselves artistically and some people
don’t have access to art school. So why not paint beautiful murals and
add some color to the concrete streets? I’m very much a fan of the Do
It Yourself (DIY) ethic. That’s why I think you don’t need a lot of
fancy art supplies or canvases to do art. That’s why I make zines and
encourage any form of public/free art, spoken word and art that reaches
out into the community where you live and inspires those around you.
Graffiti, billboard modification and wheat-pasting are all great ways
to get messages across. I hope more people will realize that it’s a
form of art and expression that shouldn’t be criminalized but rather
encouraged. Take a hint from groups like Precita Eyes in SF, where the
art of youth is validated and taken seriously. Provide spaces for youth
to display their talents and know that we’re not going to stop
beautifying the world we live in.

For more info  on other organizations and groups see: www.artcrimes.com
(HUGE source of graffiti art and links online), www.culturecache.com
(net gallery for emerging artists), www.mucketymuck.org (Pond Gallery
in SF), www.precitaeyes.org (Precita Eyes Mural Arts Center in SF),
www.corporateswine.net (Coporate Swine)

       All content Copyleft © 2002 by The Alarm! Newspaper. Except
where noted otherwise, this material may be copied and distributed
freely in whole or in part by anyone except where used for commercial
purposes or by government agencies.