[Dryerase] Asheville City Council

Shawn G dr_broccoli at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 5 15:07:02 CDT 2002

Asheville Global Report
www.agrnews.org

Asheville City Council OKs Shiloh development
By Beth Trigg

Asheville, North Carolina, Aug. 20 (AGR)—  About sixty residents of the
Shiloh community attended Asheville City Council’s last regular meeting on
Aug. 13 to voice concerns about a new development proposed for the
neighborhood.  Developer Ron Hubbard, who famously renovated the downtown
Kress building, installing luxury condominiums that sell for upwards of
$300,000, was seeking a conditional use permit and rezoning from Council for
a 168-unit condo development in Shiloh.  Shiloh, a historic working class
Black neighborhood in South Asheville, has a strong Community Association
which opposes the development.
Jonnie Walker, the president of the Shiloh Community Association, has been a
resident of Shiloh for sixty-seven years.  She told council that the
“density is so great that it will cause problems in our community.”  Walker
cited the City’s Unified Development Ordinance’s seven conditional use
findings, much in the news in recent months in connection with opposition to
the Sayles Bleachery Super Wal-Mart development.  “The proposed buildings
are not at all compatible with our neighborhood,” said Walker.  Anita
White-Carter, another lifelong resident of Shiloh, pointed to conditional
use permit number seven, which prohibits development when it causes an undue
traffic burden on the surrounding neighborhood.  “Traffic is a huge
problem,” echoed Georgia Allen. Sophie Dixon of the NAACP also spoke in
opposition to the development, voicing her concern for “the safety of all of
the residents of Shiloh” if this development were allowed into the
neighborhood.
Hubbard says the condos will sell for between $69,000 and $99,000, and
called the project an “affordable housing development.”  Hubbard told
council that his development was “the right thing for the community,”
despite the fact that neighborhood opponents had filed a protest petition.
Pointing to a map of the neighborhood with the homes of people who had
signed the protest petition marked with black squares, Hubbard implied that
the large number of petition-signers in the Wilson Creek Habitat for
Humanity development were ungrateful charity recipients who had no right to
oppose his development.  Calling the development “an oasis,” Hubbard
suggested that his project would be an improvement to the neighborhood.
Shiloh resident Charles Williams defended the neighborhood, saying: “There
seems to be a misconception that Shiloh is some sort of ghetto.  What Shiloh
is a community of hard-working people.”  The development, on the other hand,
Williams called “neighborhood terrorism,” saying “terrorism in this country
was not limited to 9/11/01.”
About a dozen members of the Faith Tabernacle Christian Church, which
occupies property which adjoins the proposed development, spoke in favor of
the project.  William Robinson, the church’s pastor, said, “We are confident
that the development will be of benefit to the church and to the Shiloh
community.”
The issue was further complicated by the fact that the Affordable Housing
Coalition of Asheville and Buncombe County (AHCABC) supported the
development, with its board of directors passing a unanimous resolution in
support of Hubbard’s plan. AHCABC interim director Judy Chaet pointed to the
dire need for affordable housing in the city and the fact that density helps
provide more housing within city limits.
Frieda Nash, a resident of Shiloh, countered this assumption:  “The
developer says that density is the only way to get affordability.  Density
is the only way to get profitability.  We are people living there.  You want
to make profits.”   Norma Baines added, “To say that you have to buy a condo
to have affordable housing is not true.  There can be affordable
single-family homes.  There are no three story buildings in Shiloh.  Shiloh
wants single family affordable homes so the people of Shiloh can be proud,
so that we can plant that special tree or flower — we want to leave our
children homes, not another project.”  Baines suggested that Council should
examine the size and layout of the condos, suggesting that they were the
size of “an efficiency apartment, not a home.”
Other speakers brought up concerns about affordable housing in Asheville;
Leon Williams spoke about searching for a home to buy with his wife, saying
“there wasn’t anything to be found” within city limits that was within their
budget, even though he and his wife each work two jobs. “We ended up moving
to Leicester,” said Williams, who supported the development “and commuting.”
  The only common ground between opponents and proponents of the project
seemed to be the dire need for more affordable housing.
But former mayoral candidate Mickey Mahaffey says the situation is more
complex than just whether or not council supports affordable housing: “Yes,
there are affordable housing issues here, but above all this is a community
issue.  Although I might be in favor of density as a means to create
affordable housing, communities have a right to decide their own fate.  It’s
patronizing to say politicians or developers know what’s best for a
community better than community members do.”  Adds community activist Allie
Morris: “The Shiloh Community Association and the clear majority of
residents don’t want this development.  This is about community
empowerment.”
In the end, Council voted unanimously to approve the development and
rezoning.  Council member Terry Bellamy qualified her vote by saying: “The
good far outweighs the negative,” and, “we have to take into consideration
only the seven conditional use findings.  It’s only fair to the developer to
look only at these issues.”  Mayor Charles Worley was even less apologetic:
“We are a growing community, a growing state, a growing nation,” said
Worley, “growth we can’t stop.”
Council member Joe Dunn, not known as a supporter of affordable housing,
voted in favor of the project as well.  Jeff Kelly, of Community Supported
Development (CSD), pointed out that Dunn had blocked a density bonus for an
affordable housing development of much smaller scale earlier in the year,
saying: “Dunn could not support 37 units or so of affordable housing in
white, conservative Chunns Cove but his only concern with the Shiloh
development was that the City was asking the developer for too much money
per unit— $500 — to be set aside in an escrow account for traffic
mitigation.  How he and Mumpower were so put out by this, when this was the
neighborhood’s biggest concern, is beyond me.”
Gregory Payne of Shiloh summed up the frustration that was palpable in the
crowd:  “This complex will change the character of our neighborhood and it
seems like we can’t do anything to stop this.  Our hearts are burdened.  I
spoke to an elder in the neighborhood the other day and she told me that she
felt like her hands were tied and her voice was not heard.”  Payne implored
council to allow community members to have some power in determining the
direction of their own neighborhood, closing his statement with a passionate
demand:  “Loose the chains.  Loose the shackles.”