[Dryerase] Alarm!--Eye on the INS

The Alarm!Newswire wires at the-alarm.com
Fri Sep 6 22:47:34 CDT 2002

Eye on the INS
It’s been 1 year—it’s been 50 years

By Michelle Stewart
The Alarm! Newspaper Collective

It is entirely discouraging to look back over the past year from the
position of immigration and immigrants’ rights. In the wake of the 9/11
event, many rights of noncitizens in the US were stripped, and in turn,
the rights of those entering the US were reduced. In the past year, we
have seen the Department of Justice explicitly state the need to
racially profile visitors and immigrants entering and those in the US,
as well as those already here. We have seen over 1,000 people detained
in the name of the War on Terrorism. Many of these detainees vanished
without a trace until their release. Many are still detained, with
their names withheld from the public. We have to ask ourselves: do the
ends justify the means, or for that matter what are the ends?

It would be a rather tedious expedition to set out and systematically
refer to each moment the INS/Department of Justice took aim at
immigrants’ rights in the past year. It would simply show good research
skills. All of that information is out on the web and at your
fingertips if you want it. In drafting a year in review since 9/11, I
am stumped on what to say, for indeed there is too much to say.

We cannot forget that while immigrants’ rights have been squashed over
the last year during the 9/11 crackdowns, programs like Operation
Gatekeeper prove that the INS’s failures don’t begin and end with 9/11.

The INS is being restructured: it is losing its latest director, it is
being separated into two agencies and it is bolstered financially by an
increased attention to border security. Many things can slip through
the cracks of scrutiny when looking at this aging behemoth of an agency
that dwells both in flawed policy and dated understandings of
geopolitics. So, what then of the last year? What is the thing to focus
on?

It would be simple to compare the current detainments of noncitizens
with the WWII detainment and relocation of Japanese, Italian and German
immigrants. The parallels are rather apparent. We need to recognize
that the larger catastrophe is that the lesson of history has not kept
us from repeating our earlier mistake(s).

Better technology allowed the government to seize up the last wave of
detainees with relative secrecy. These detainees will not be released
to find themselves landless, homeless or otherwise robbed by their
opportunistic neighbors. Unfortunately, many of these recently detained
face deportation for minor immigration infractions or assumed
associations. So, the newer version of the ethnic target-and-detain
game is, perhaps, more bittersweet. But if it is appropriate to
compare, what purpose does that serve?

It’s hard to look back on the last year and not be cynical. Those with
an ear on INS policy and practice have become deafened by stories of
families being torn apart. Of mothers being called in for “interviews,”
and, assuming their citizenship is coming up, they attend and are
deported after being torn from their children’s arms. Their children
are US citizens born in this country, their husbands are US citizens
sponsoring their application, they are noncitizens who made a mistake
on their forms or filings. They are deported and restricted from
re-entry for five to ten years. How many of these stories need to be
told-—when a single one should be enough to illustrate a flaw in the
system?

Our collective fear of another tower crumbling, of another day like
September 11, 2001 has allowed us to wonder if the ends justify the
means. Is it worth it for one mother to be deported in favor of
stricter laws to keep terrorists out? I am afraid to answer that the
laws are not going to guarantee we avoid another 9/11. The INS cannot
safeguard the continental US period—why do we continue to permit the
INS to strip the rights of others for an unattainable goal? At the end
of the day, the alleged hijackers entered legally, and received
clearance for training some eight months after the attack.

Nearly every other week the INS, the Department of Justice or the
Office of Homeland Security makes yet another statement that should
shock our sensibilities. Instead, there is a small response that says,
“No, ethnic profiling is wrong.” These small voices are largely drowned
out by a complacent general public that begins to wonder if it’s ‘OK’
to racially profile all men ages 18-35 from predominantly Muslim
countries. How could that be OK? Is it just easier to assume that
everyone of Middle-Eastern descent is a possible enemy than it is to
lead a targeted investigation? I guess it is, especially when the
general public does not rise up and speak out.

The level of ethnic animosity is being covered up, as hate crimes
against people of Arab descent (or apparent Arab descent) continue to
occur, as the government targets young men who are visiting the US, as
the government seizes the funds of aid agencies associated with the
Afghan region, etc., etc. A year has passed and we are not out of the
woods.

When the WTC was car-bombed in 1993,the stage was set for immigration
reform. One of the results was the Illegal Immigration Reform and
Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996. At the time, this sweeping
legislation took immigrants (and immigration lawyers) by storm,
stripping rights, increasing penalties and generally raising the stakes
for those seeking to immigrate. Although these laws were confusing and
often contradictory, they were at least explicitly on the books, giving
people time to respond and strategize their actions.

In the current INS environment, the ideas of yesterday are policy
today, and you must have a finger on the pulse of the agency to keep up
with the rate of change. The current environment slaps down the maximum
penalty for each rather modest infraction. From change of address forms
to assumed associations, today’s immigrant needs to devote time each
week to keeping up with the INS.

Thus comes one of the most obvious and least talked about problems with
the INS. There is no system of dissemination. The INS disseminates
through the media. But who has the time to read the paper each and
every day to see what is changing in one agency, and, in turn, who
guarantees that each newspaper will cover every change at the INS? We
live in a world that guarantees nothing but death and taxes, yet we can
penalize someone who did not respond to the information they were not
given?

Today’s immigrant is expected to know every law that applies to their
status, yet there isn’t a centralized means to gather all of that
information and distribute it. Until we solve this basic problem we
will continue to read stories that make our heads ache with anger. But
this leads to a false conclusion that a better bureaucracy will make
for better immigration politics and policy. This is not the case.

Last year, the Twin Towers were hit, over 1,000 people were placed in
detention (their names were withheld), there is talk of the INS
building larger detainment centers, the agency is receiving a larger
budget and continuing to revise its rules and guidelines for students
and visitors entering the US. That is the sound-bite overview of the
last year.

A more personal note might read: last year when the Twin Towers
crumbled, dozens or perhaps hundreds of undocumented workers died and
they will not receive federal funds for their families and their names
are not mentioned as “victims;” in the first six months of 2002, 167
immigrants died trying to enter the US, 117 of whom were Mexican; on an
average day the INS is detaining 16,000 people, and by the end of 2002
it is estimated they will be detaining 23,000 people, with an annual
budget of $1 billion dollars devoted to detention and detainment.

In short, the last year has been dismal, with little immediate hope for
recovery. So long as the US general public is complacent in these
matters, people will continue to be held in detention, killed in the
desert and subject to scrutiny and persecution based solely on their
perceived ethnicity.

The whole of the Muslim world did not attack the US on 9/11/01, just as
each person from another country should not be subjected to possible
death for entering the US “illegally.” We need to stop and take notice
of these laws we support through political apathy.

The government efficiently has many members of the public swept up in
its endless game of crying wolf at every country, every person, and all
things Muslim. And if that is not offensive enough it is setting its
sights on larger and larger targets.

For the past year we have weathered the storm of paranoia and confusion
following 9/11, many of the ill-deeds cannot be undone and will not be
forgotten. That does not mean we need to remain complacent. The second
year of the War on Terrorism is upon us—perhaps one year was enough,
and the time has come to reinstate rather than further strip people of
their rights.

We cannot apply Machiavellian theory to the rights of immigrants and
visitors in this country. The simplest of reasons is that we are unsure
of what the “ends” truly are in this high stakes game of cat-and-mouse
dubbed the War on Terrorism.

Endnote:  Carlos Armenta will continue with the second part of his
series on the Five Myths of Immigration in the next issue of the paper.
Each week the paper plans to present both Michelle Stewart and Carlos
Armenta’s views on immigration policy and practice in facing columns.
Your comments are welcomed at michelle at the-alarm.com

    All content Copyleft © 2002 by The Alarm! Newspaper. Except where
noted otherwise, this material may be copied and distributed freely in
whole or in part by anyone except where used for commercial purposes or
by government agencies.

-----
The Alarm! Newspaper
a local weekly newspaper for an engaged populace

http://www.the-alarm.com/
info at the-alarm.com
P.O. Box 1205, Santa Cruz, CA 95061
(831) 429-NEWS - office