No subject

Sun Feb 8 02:51:42 CST 2004

militarism.  Accounts of events of aggression are laid out concisely in a
time line that speaks to their accuracy and validity. The atrocities covered
in the time line are punctuated by dated quotes, selected to clarify the
objectives of the perpetrators and advocates of violence in each case. Any
threat to Persian Gulf oil, Jimmy Carter says, in 1979, “will be repelled by
any means necessary, including military force.”
The immorality of the events is brought to the surface and affirmed by the
gestures on the faces in the opinionated illustrations that read between the
lines and leave the readers saying “funny, but not funny.” The humor in the
illustrations is shattered by the sober and marring gravity of the social
commentary they convey. General Smedley Butler is drawn with his face
scrunched up in sorrow saying, “Our boys were sent off to die with beautiful
ideals painted in front of them. No one told them that dollar and cents were
the real reason they were marching off to kill and die” in 1934. There are
illustrations of players like the senior Bush and even Jimmy Carter with
shit eating grins on their faces bragging about their war machine.  Bush
says about Saddam Hussein in 1990 “He’s going to get his ass kicked!”
The ravenous and monstrous war habit of our corporatized government is
indulged at our expense. Where violence might satisfy the desires for power
and money of a few big corporations, it is taxing for the rest of us. The
plain monetary expense of maintaining our military is crippling our
infrastructure. “Bridges, roads, sewers, and water systems are crumbling
because the government fails to provide the money needed to maintain them.”
The expense issued to the rest of the world is even harsher. People are
starved and slaughtered thoughtlessly by US sanctions and arms, so they also
have to live paranoid under the threat of retaliations. The retaliations are
branded as terrorism. We are continuously deceived by the clandestine
“marshaling of public opinion” for our support of the war monster, and this
book puts that all out on the table.
The book ends on a hopeful note showing how effective good people can be
when they come together and voice their truths. It leaves you wanting to
figure out how you can put an end to the violence.  Addicted to War is an
inspiring and easy read. It has a sizable list of references, so it can also
be a great tool for educating and eye opening.  Share it with your friends
and family.