[Gghc-discuss] Duinolab, robots, and other topics from yesterday's GGHC meeting

Jonathan Manton jmanton at illinois.edu
Fri Apr 8 16:52:04 CDT 2011

An expansion from our discussion yesterday...

Here are some requirements that seem to be pretty clear:

- It needs to be portable and easily stored (stacked if you have
multiple ones).  Something that closes up, can fit in a laptop case
(along with the laptop), and can be shaken around without breaking
anything.

- It should have, with some high probability, all the electronic
components you need to work on whatever project you are working on
*right now*.  This includes wires, discrete components, and commonly
used chips.  Does not include other tools, such as a laptop,
multimeter, wire cutters, power supply... (do we want to build in
storage for one or two important tools?  Do we want to build in a
power supply and/or multimeter?)

- Setup and cleanup should be very fast, easy, not at all annoying.
Setup should consist of taking it out and opening the lid; cleanup
should consist of closing the lid and putting it away (maybe a USB
cable plugged/unplugged in there too).

- It should use the Arduino development environment and libraries for
programming.

- It should be something that can be made with the resources available
to an average maker/hacker.  If anything specialized is required
(e.g., the parts, case, whatever), it should be available for order in
a straightforward way.

- You need to be able to switch between in-progress projects quickly,
easily, and non-destructively.  No pulling out wires where you aren't
quite sure where to plug them back in later.  The incremental cost for
having another project should be much less than the cost of the whole
'lab (order of magnitude less).

We need to decide what the 'lab's primary purpose is, and then
optimize for that.  When I wrote that blog post I was writing it as a
tool that I would use for myself.  But I think for the GGHC we need to
take a somewhat different focus.  There are some requirements and
constraints we need to figure out.

- Who will be the primary audience for the 'lab?  Two alternative
answers are individuals working on their own projects, and people
learning about electronics in a school or other structured setting.
My suggestion is we focus on the use case of students learning in a
classroom environment (either in a school or a makerspace/FabLab).

- How important is cost?  We could build something for (rough numbers
here) $50, $100, $200, including the Arduino.  My guess is that $50 is
going to be too tight.  I think $100 would be a good goal to shoot
for, but we shouldn't get too worried unless it goes above $150-$170.
I'd rather buy vs. build for some stuff (e.g., the Arduino) due to
tight timeframes.

- How important is ease of building?  My concerns here are that this
should be something someone with intelligence but not a lot of
experience can make from the plans.  Through-hold soldering is OK, but
maybe not requiring surface-mount.  They should be able to source the
circuit boards from something like batchpcb.com, and anything laser
cut from ponoko.com.

- Will it be optimized for general use, or for a set collection of
exercises/use cases?  This is the trickiest one in here, and I am not
really sure.  Ideally it would be optimized for one, but still be
useful for the other.  My guess is we won't have a bunch of specific
use cases when we finish the project at the end of this month, but
maybe we could have 3 or 4.

- Does it need to be expandable/customizable, or have a fixed
configuration?  Probably for the contest it should be fixed.  This is
a good long-term question.

- Will it be used to develop something that later is used outside the
'lab?  This depends heavily on the "optimized for general use or
collection of use cases" question.

- Will it be used *without* a computer never, sometimes, or always?
(obviously not always, otherwise the arduino is kind of superfluous).
I think that for the contest we make it so it needs to be connected to
the computer, simply because that makes the power supply simple (well,
it means the Arduino does the power supply).  I suppose we could put
in the provision to have 4xAA batteries, and drive the Arduino from
that.  Or maybe a 9v battery?  I don't think the Arduino draws much
current.