[Gghc-discuss] Proposed initial purchase - too much?

Erich Heine sophacles at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 16:51:22 CDT 2011

Hi all,

So, with this and Brian's emails in mind, combined with keeping an eye on
the budget, here is what I did:

I ordered 3 Arduino Uno kits from Amazon.com. With overnight shipping, they
were cheaper than 2-day shipping them from elsewhere as I have an Amazon
Prime account. They will arrive tomorrow. Cost: $101.82

I also ordered 3 Arduino XBee shields via amazon -- with expedited shipping
they will get here monday. They are a different brand of shield than sold by
SparkFun, and don't need extra headers. They arrive monday. The price was
$79.84 after shipping.

>From Spark Fun I ordered 2 USB XBee explorers. They are sent USPS Priority
Mail, and so should get here Monday. Cost after shipping: 57.09

>From Newark.com I ordered 5 low-power XBees (w/ antenna) for $104 with
shipping. They get here Monday.

Total cost of orders: $342.75

I know that it means we won't have robots or wireless immediately, but we
can use the time to get people up to speed on arduino. We can also do some
basic design on the robots and drivetrains over the weekend. Monday we can
get going on wireless stuff.  There is lots to do over the next few days, so
I don't think we need to worry about that.

I'll be at the makerspace open hours tonight if anyone wants to discuss it
further there, perhaps it would be easier than over email.

I also plan on being in the makerspace tomorrow evening, and can be there
variously over the weekend, that just needs to be coordinated with everyone
else.

Regards,
Erich