[Imc-artists] Re: Youth jobs / Summer help at the IMC?

Nicole Pion nicole.pion at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 10:45:25 CDT 2009

Hey everyone,
Hear d there were some issues opening hte attachemnts - I cut and pasted the
job desc below.
nicole

*
*

*4. Visitor Center Coordinator*

*Role:* The Visitor Center Coordinator will maintain the UCIMC “Visitor
Center.” This will involve outreach to in-state artists, inviting them to
display and sell arts and crafts at the UCIMC. This member will also orient
new artists to subsidized studio space and to the materials the UCIMC has
offer (such as a kiln, silkscreen workshop, and woodshop). In exchange, the
Visitor Center Coordinator will work with artists to host community art
workshops, classes, and open house events. This member will work closely
with the 15 artists in residence.

*Needs Addressed: *This initiative gives voice to alternative artistic
expression and provides a no-barrier entrance into the market place for
emerging artists, who may be struggling to start their careers.

*Skills learned:* They will acquire a range of skills involving non-profit
fundraising and utilizing a small-business-like model to affect poverty
alleviation for low-income artists and artisans. They will also gain job
experience, program implementation and community building skills.

*Measurable Outcomes: *The goals of such an initiative would be to host one
new and featured artist every two to three months who would showcase work,
provide arts education workshops, and use the UCIMC to invigorate their
career.  With our newly active visual artists, the UCIMC plans to host at
least 6 workshops or open-house events, open to all community members

*6. All-Ages Performance Venue Program Development Coordinator *

*Role:* This member will engage deeper community involvement in the UCIMC by
coordinating programming in the all-ages performance venue. They will
actively seek out and sustain partnerships with regional community groups,
performers, musicians, and independent promoters and assist them with
scheduling educational, social, cultural and artistic events at the UCIMC.
Other duties will include increasing volunteer opportunities through the
coordination of volunteer staff to operate stage, sound, and lighting
equipment; managing and promoting an events calendar online; training
building staff and volunteers on live sound equipment; and developing a
series of regular community arts events in the UCIMC building over the
course of the year of service.

*Needs Addressed: *Our community lacks a "third place" in addition to home
and school, for young people to gather, share their talents, and engage in
community service.  The UCIMC is the only all ages performance venue in
town.

*Skills learned:* This member, and volunteers working with him/her will
acquire a range of experiences in live event production, community
organizing, arts promotion, and the finances of venue management.  These
experiences will take place in a non-profit context that emphasizes
empowerment through arts, media, and education, and so the AmeriCorps member
will commit to bringing a diversity of people and events to the IMC.

*Measurable Outcomes: *The AmeriCorps member will expand the number
volunteers and events being hosted by the UCIMC through outreach efforts.
We expect to see an increase in workshops (from 234 as reported to IAC to
250) and to showcase at least 12 more local performing artists in the
performance venue.