[Middle Room Gallery] Julie Guyot, May 3rd, @ The Middle Room Gallery

Jason Pitzl-Waters jpitzl at wildhunt.org
Thu May 1 11:40:06 CDT 2003

The Middle Room Gallery
@ The Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center
218 W. Main, Urbana IL
http://www.gallery.ucimc.org/

"Recent Works"
Fabric art installation by Julie Guyot
May 3rd - May 30th
Opening reception Saturday May 3rd 7-9pm
Wine provided by The Corkscrew Wine Emporium
Food provided by Strawberry Fields

Artists Statement:

I am interested in the tedium of our days. Most of us are required perform
the same tasks day after day. This can become boring and monotonous and
sometimes even lead to feelings of depression and hopelessness. We feel so
stuck in what we think we have to do that we are unable to see the beauty
in our work or our surroundings. Sometimes we become so focused on one
small repetitive element that we fail to take a step back and witness the
beauty of the collection of those components.

These are my days. This is my collection.

I work spontaneously and intuitively, usually without sketches or detailed
plans. I experiment. I play. I stitch, stain, dye, rip, wrap and cast
materials. Although this work contains a sense of history, it is important
to realize that these works are not found objects. Although a few
components have been acquired, these pieces have been distressed, used,
weathered and discarded, leaving the memory or what they once protected.

Also at the IMC Saturday May 3rd:

4-6pm
IMC Zine Slam!
http://www.ucimc.org/feature/display/11549/index.php
A collection of local and regional zine creators will be reading from their
works.
There is a suggested donation of 2-5$ for this event.

8pm
An evening of folk music with Joni Laurence
There is a suggested donation of 10-15$ for this event.

Jason Pitzl-Waters
jason at ucimc.org
Coordinator The Middle Room Gallery
http://www.gallery.ucimc.org/