[RAGG] Lunafest at the Art!

Art Manager theartmanager at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 28 21:40:27 CST 2004

Hey girls,

I could really use some help getting the word about this around town. We are
having a women's [yes, WOMEN'S!!!!!] film festival at the Art Theatre this
weekend on Saturday, December 4th at 1pm. The festival is called Lunafest,
and it consists of films made by, for, and about women! The ticket sales go
to Breast Cancer Research and our local Planned Parenthood [yea!]. For more
info on the shows, check out www.boardmansarttheatre.com

We are also excited to celebrate Universal Human Rights Month [December]
with two powerful films, Vera Drake and Moolaade! Here is a little summary
of the two films:

Released to rave reviews, Vera Drake opens in conjunction with Lunafest
during the weekend of December 3rd. Plotline- Abortionist Vera Drake finds
her beliefs and practices clash with the mores of 1950s England - a conflict
which leads to tragedy for her family.

Moolaade, a powerful film that examines female circumcision in Africa. Six
girls escape from an African ceremony of female circumcision. Two flee to
the city while Colle Ardo Gallo Sy, one of the wives of a village tribesman,
takes four in. Colle puts the spell of Moolaade, protection, over the girls,
to keep them safe. This Cannes award-winning film addresses the subject of
female circumcision in Senegal in a sensitive way that leaves critics like
Ebert to proclaim that Moolaade is, “Magnificently beautiful, a strong,
true, and useful film… that resonates with life”.

Now ladies, if you are wondering why these films are so important, please
keep in mind the following information...

Why a film festival for women? Because films that star or are focused on the
lives of women are few and far between in the male-centered film industry.
For example, if you look at the top ten films currently in theatres, only
one in ten films’ plot is centered on a woman’s life. And it isn’t this year
alone, if you look at the top 10 all time box office hits in the US, you
will find that there is not one film whose plot centers around a woman, but
we are “lucky” have women in the role of “co-star” in a couple of them. It
is even bleaker if you look at the top 50, with only two films starring
women, and a couple more with them as co-stars. You are more likely to find
a film about a man pretending he is woman before coming across a film with
woman-centered cast or plot. Does someone’s sex make his or her life more or
less interesting? Apparently Hollywood thinks so. Don’t get me started on
the ratios of women filmmakers to men…

Please help me encourage others to come out for this festival and attend
these amazing films! Pass the info on! Tell others! I would appreciate
anything and everything you can do to spread the word! Let's sell this out
and make some money for a good cause- WOMEN!

Thanks your friendly IMCista and conveniently co-manager at the Art,
Colleen

BOARDMAN'S ART THEATRE
126 W. Church Street
Champaign, IL 61820