[Imc-makerspace] know of any ubuntu network tools that do not suck?

Charles Schultz sacrophyte at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 20:48:19 CDT 2011

Brian, is the below appropriate to send to the imc-makerspace list? I
realize it is not a "help" forum, but I figure some of the guys on the list
know Ubuntu pretty good.

-----------------------

Hey,

Not sure if this is the proper place for such questions....

My netadmin skills are mediocre - I know my way around ifdown/up,
/etc/network and some of the basics of using ifconfig. However, I have never
done any of that with wireless (I realize most of it is the same, but the
parts that do not overlap confuse me a little). I am finding the GUI admin
tools under ubuntu really blow chunks big time. And the "auto" features are
horrible; taking between 30 and 45 seconds for the network agent to realize
a wireless connection is not valid. On top of that, I am having a heck of a
time configuring my wireless setup to accept WPA/WPA2.

thoughts or constructive criticism? =)

--
Charles Schultz