[Imc-outreach] re: coop teach-in and outreach meeting 9/2

Pengdust at aol.com Pengdust at aol.com
Sat Aug 25 08:23:41 CDT 2001

hey guys...dave p. here-

Update:
1. Talked with Mikhail Brun, for about 3 hours actually, he's into doing a
presentation... so all the speakers are lined up
2. Going to make a flyer and handout for the teach-in... will have a printout
for the 9/2 meeting for all to see and approve
3. Would like it if everyone  involved could be at the Sunday 9/2 meeting so
we can get our collective heads together on this. Mikhail said he can come if
I remind him later in the week and I'll call Walter to touch base with him
this weekend. So Ben, if you could get some people from Common Grounds to
show up that'd be great.
4. The last time we met we set Saturday Sept. 9 afternoon as the "lift-off"
so we need to talk about set-up and promo. Sascha is there anything else we
need to do as far as IMC space is concerned?
5. Ben came up with a pretty good schedule for the teach-in which I made a
short outline of (below) let's solidify it at the meeting if possible

Well, that's about it comrades... if anyone thinks of something I've missed
let me know

Rough Outline for the Cooperative Teach-in

I. Introduction and Goals of Teach-In
    A. What is a Cooperative?
    B. Goals
        1. to give exposure of locally exiating coops in our community
        2. to open-up a discussion on democracy, a “participatory economy,”
and how coops could fit into those “ideals”
        3. to inspire more community involvement in locally existing coops;
and/or the creation of new ones
II. The Ideal of cooperation and the Rochedale Principles as the foundation
    A. Handout will include a list of the updated Rochedale Principles
    B. Ties into the question of “why a cooperative instead of a traditional
business?”
III. Intro of local coops as examples
    A. Couch-Housing
    B. Fruited Plain-Purchasing (Buyer’s Club)
    C. IMC-Media
    D. Common Grounds-Consumer
    E. SDS-Education/Activist
    F. Mothlight Design Collective-Worker (Collective)
IV. Mikhail Brun (speaker)-Globalization/Alternative economics and coops...
followed by Q/A discussion
V. Walter Matherly (speaker)-His experience as an coop organizer and examples
of succesful coops... followed by Q/A discussion
VI. Coops in C-U (open discussion)
    A. What are some of the needs of our community that coops can fulfill?
    B. How can coops in  our community work together (cooperate... imagine
that)?
    C. Ideas for new cooperatives and/or the expansion of the role of
existing ones?