[Imc-outreach] PAZ conference in Louisville, KY

jacobs jacobs at students.uiuc.edu
Sun Jul 8 17:44:07 CDT 2001

Greetings all,

here is the information on the PAZ conference ("Permanent Autonomous Zone")
that I mentioned at the steering group meeting today.  I'll also post it to
the website.  This may be a good outreach possibility for the IMC.

__________________________________

You are invited to our conference! We're organizing a conference about
autonomous community spaces (and similar projects) here in Louisville,
KY for Labor Day weekend. It's called PAZ: Building Permanent Autonomous
Zones, and it's going to be here at the Brycc House, a collectively-run
community center. The conference spans the entire Labor Day weekend,
with housing, food, and entertainment included in the admission ($15).
The Web page is going to go up in the next day or so, so I'll send
another message out then. Basically, we're looking for people involved
in:

-- Autonomous Zones
-- Infoshops
-- Co-ops
-- Community gardens
-- Free/modern/community schools
-- Squats, ecovillages, collective housing

Along with:

-- Publishers (such as AK Press, zine publishers)
-- Festival/conference planners (such as the Southern Girls Convention)
-- Political organizations (like ARA, Food Not Bombs)

To talk about:

-- How to build these spaces and orgs
-- How to organize collectively
-- How to successfully delegate responsibility
-- Consensus vs. majority rule
-- How to get money for projects
-- Dealing with hostile neighbors
-- Dealing with government interference

etc. etc. etc.

As far as we know, this is the first conference of its kind. As people
involved in PAZs here in L'ville, we are extremely interested in
discussing organizational strategies to help our projects better live up
to the world we're envisioning. We are in need of people like the ones
on this list to sign up to run workshops so we can encourage the spread
and growth of non-hierarchical, non-government, and non-corporate
institutions. Please get in touch with me, Liz, ASAP if you're
interested in attending, helping with, or learning more about this
conference, or just send a message to this group. We hope to make this
an annual gathering of PAZ organizers around the country that's
informative and inspiring (and oh yeah -- fun.).

Thanks,
Liz Palmer

http://www.infoshop.org/paz/

James R. Jacobs
Graduate Reference Assistant
Education/Social Science Library
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Home: 303B1 Paddock Drive
Savoy, IL 61874
(217)359-9283
jacobs at uiuc.edu
   (\
  {|||8-
   (/

"Librarians, Dusty, possess a vast store of politeness.
These are people who get asked regularly the dumbest
questions on God's green earth. These people tolerate
every kind of crank and eccentric and mouth-breather
there is."
--Garrison Keillor, "Lives of the Cowboys"