[Imc-outreach] Flyer, handbills, outline

Pengdust at aol.com Pengdust at aol.com
Sun Sep 2 15:56:00 CDT 2001

hey guys-

As of 3:00pm Sunday there are 100 flyers and about 150 1/4page handbills on
the table inside the door of the IMC like we talked about. Also you'll find
the outline of the teach-in below with times for each section. Great to get
together today I think it went well. If more copies of anything are needed
let me know I can either send PDF as an attachment (let me know resolution of
printer), or leave some more on the same table at the IMC.

Let me know if anything comes up or if I've forgot something.... dave p.

Outline for the Cooperative Teach-in

I. Introduction and Goals of Teach-In -- Dave Powers(10 mins)
    A. Goals
        1. to give exposure of locally exiating coops in our community
        2. to open-up a discussion on democracy, a “participatory economy,”
and
                             how coops could fit into those “ideals”
        3. to inspire more community involvement in locally existing coops;
and/or
                            the creation of new ones
II. The Ideal of cooperation and the Rochdale Principles as the
foundation--Dave Powers (15 mins)
    A. Rochdale Principles (Handout will include a list of the updated
Rochdale
                 Principles)
    B. Ties into the question of “why a cooperative instead of a traditional
business?”
III. Intro of local coops as examples (5 min each org)
    A. Couch-Housing--Andy Mills
    B. Fruited Plain-Purchasing (Buyer’s Club)--Nanda Palmieri
    C. IMC-Media--Brian Hagy
    D. Common Grounds-Consumer--Molly Stentz
    E. SDS-Education/Activist--Paul Kotheimer
    F. Mothlight Design Collective-Worker (Collective)--Dave Powers
IV. Mikhail Brun (speaker)-Globalization/Alternative economics and coops...
followed by
      Q/A & discussion (10 min presentation, 10 min discussion)
V. Walter Matherly (speaker)-His experience as an coop organizer and examples
of succesful
      coops... followed by Q/A & discussion (10 min presentation, 10 min
discussion)
VI. Coops in C-U (open discussion--20 mins)
    A. What are some of the needs of our community that coops can fulfill?
    B. How can coops in  our community work together (cooperate... imagine
that)?
    C. Ideas for new cooperatives and/or the expansion of the role of
existing ones?