[Imc-outreach] copier update

Ellen radicallibrarian at hellokitty.com
Mon Aug 9 16:44:59 CDT 2004

Hello friends,

I just finished meeting with a service technician from IKON about the copier. He was a very nice guy, was familiar with the machine as he had serviced it at the United Way, and was sympathetic to the fact that we have no $$. Nonetheless, here is the lowdown.

The minimum charge for service is $150 (which is the labor charge for the first hour of service) then they charge 37.50 for each addition 15 minutes of labor and of course parts.

I figured that I could pony up the first $150 (but wouldn't mind being reimburse or having help here) so I felt confindent in meeting with him. Plus everyone had given me the indication that a working copier was a good thing and should be pursued.

The technician told me that there are several things that needed to be replaced and some things that should be replaced. He is going to call me tomorrow with the cost breakdown for the parts. Both for what needs to be replaced and what should be replaced He estimated that for what _needs_ to be replaced it would be $300-$400 total (including labor, and including the visit today). He has not yet billed us for the time he spent with the machine today (approx. 30 minutes) and will include it when the service is complete.

I guess what I need to know, is what should I tell this guy when he calls tomorrow? Should I just take the info, and get it to outreach for the meeting on Wednesday and tell him I can get back to him about what we want to do next week? I don't think I can string it out for too long as he has already come out and spent time on the copier, but like I said he is sympathetic to our situation so next week would likely be OK. Or if it is withing the range above $300-400 should I just make the service appointment?  Which won't be until next week anyway since I'm out of town the rest of this week.

Also is there anyone else who is willing to chip in funds? I know that Ian Goldberg from the Canapy Club had at one point said he would pay for the "tune up" if he could do his copying on it. I'm not sure if want to talk with him again or not about that. I guess I'm a little luke warm on the idea, unless it is more like he is willing to continue to help pay for maintainence and things like developer and toner. Or if it is like you can make x number of copies on the machine. Certainly a more specific agreement would need to worked out. I'm also not willing to personally pursue it. (I'm feeling a bit spread thin right now)

Ellen
your friendly radical librarian