[Imc-outreach] April events

Colleen Cook colleencook7 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 9 21:07:32 CST 2005

Hi guys,

I wanted to let you know about a couple of ideas for events that can take
place at the IMC to bring people in next month. I thought this really might
help with outreach and getting new people involved. I'm not sure how we want
to proceed with advertising and getting the word out, but I know that the
more notice the better as far as the IMC goes.

Ariel [before she went in to the hospital] mentioned an event she wanted to
help host with an activist group that would traveling down from Chicago to
do a workshop for us. The event was a discussion and workshop on violence
and harassment in specifically within activist organizations. I think it
would be a really good way to contact and bring in other activist groups
around town and form more alliances within the community. The event has been
scheduled for April 16th in the early afternoon. Ariel obviously knows a lot
more about this than I do, and would be the best contact for this.

A group called Healing Works also contacted us about doing a 3 week long
gallery exhibition mid April. They have done an exhibit in the past at the
IMC, and I really liked it. Right now, it is awaiting approval from Shows
and Zach.

Sandra might also have artwork in the gallery for Boneyard which takes place
April 15th-17th.

I think we should also note that April 22nd is Take Back the Night, if we
want to participate in some way.

In addition, I have contacted two groups that are willing to do lectures or
workshops. I haven't scheduled them yet, because I wanted some feedback from
you guys on when would be a good time to do them. One of them is Ross
Wantland from Men Against Sexual Violence. He is UIUC's coordinator of
Sexual Assault Education. He would be willing to do a workshop for members
or the community. I have also spoken with CCSE, which focuses on
Comprehensive Sex Education. I think it would be really neat to have a
community meeting for parents to find out what is currently being taught in
school as far as sex ed, and what experts believe should be taught. We
haven't really done a lot of outreach to parents in the past, and I think
this could be a really cool event. Especially since the EC rallies have been
so successful lately.

Any thoughts on any of these ideas????

I really wish I could attend meetings. I feel so out of the loop. Keep
sending the notes please!

Thanks,
Colleen