[Imc-summaries] On the Road in Brazil, fourth in a series

imc-tech at urbana.indymedia.org imc-tech at urbana.indymedia.org
Sat Jul 14 21:24:54 CDT 2001

Although we’re meeting a very diverse group of Brazilians, we’re only scratching the surface of the economic, social, cultural and ethnic difference that underpins life in Rio de Janiero. However,  due to our very limited ability to speak Portuguese, we’ve been unable to converse with anyone not essentially middle or upper class and educated.  Ability to speak some English, more than race, is an indicator of class, and an inability to discuss social issues without it has narrowed the range of our acquaintances.  Nevertheless, we’ve had a diverse group of experiences over the past few days.

<a text story>

+++ for details on this new story, visit urbana.indymedia.org +++