[Imc-summaries] U of I Chancellor Aiken "permanently retracts" student athlete gag order

imc-tech at urbana.indymedia.org imc-tech at urbana.indymedia.org
Tue Jun 5 22:50:23 CDT 2001

The following e-mail was just sent out to all U of I students, faculty and staff from Chancellor Michael Aiken.  In it he retracts his previously imposed gag order preventing University personnel from contacting potential U of I student athletes, under the suspicion that opponents to the University's Mascot, Chief Illiniwek, would attempt to convince them not to attend the U of I.

The ACLU challenged Aiken's gag order, and as he notes, won a court order declaring it invalid.

<a text story>

+++ for details on this new story, visit urbana.indymedia.org +++