[Imc-supervisors] Fwd: Americorps Supervisor email - please edit and send

Nicole Pion nicole at ucimc.org
Wed Sep 2 18:15:49 CDT 2009

Dear Americorps Supervisors -

We spent the last 3 days getting trained in administering the Americorps
program.    Please read everything in this brief email - it contains
essential info.

We have over seventy applications for the Americorps program with many
qualified candidates - good job getting the world out!  Now we need to
interview, hire, and orient new members.

There are a few topics that I will be sending information on in the near
future:
1.) Later this evening, I'll be sending out an email with the AmeriCorps
requirements for the hiring process.
2.) Orientation, which will take place in October - I'll send another email
on this topic in a few days.
3.) Program Director - I'm developing a position description and would like
feedback from the group.  I'll be sending it along this week.

If you have questions, I'm more than happy to meet with groups.  Danielle
and I will both be here tomorrow night for Finance and Steering.

LEARNING ABOUT AMERICORPS

The short version of what we learned at the training is:

- EVERYTHING MUST BE DOCUMENTED
- TIMESHEETS ARE ESSENTIAL

Our goal is to have the Americorps program for 10 years or more.  During
this recession, the Americorps program is growing - the US is adding over
10,000 members next year.  Our strategy to keep the program for that long
is:

1. We MUST retain our Americorps members for the term of their service.

--> Make sure the applicant you select can SOLIDLY commit to a full term,
which is 1700 hours, which comes to 35 hours a week for a year.   If they
can't DO NOT select them.  If a member has completed more than 1/3 of their
hours and quit, you WILL NOT be able to rehire.

2. We MUST keep the paperwork perfect.

--> Americorps requires documentation for just about everything.  For
example, we are required to run sex offender checks on every applicant and
criminal background checks for every one offered a position.  We need
minutes from the meeting where we made the selections and rationale for
doing so.

--> Making sure timesheets are always filled out and approved correctly is
essential.  There is flexibility with the program.  Members must complete
1700 hours total, but could alternate heavier and lighter periods.  The
timesheets should be accurate to the actual time served.  We need clean
audits every time.

--> We will receive quarterly report cards from the Commission every 3-4
months and we will have 2-3 site visits from State Americorps.

--> Now that we have scared you - don't worry!  We will be hiring an
Americorps Program Coordinator who will be in charge of the paperwork and
supporting your members on a daily basis.  That said, we will need your open
communication and cooperation as we learn how to navigate a fairly
bureaucratic and tangled program.

3. We SHOULD contribute to the state Americorps program.

--> We have been identified my the program as a site that could help produce
an orientation video for the State Program.  We don't have to do this, but
given that we are really the only social justice group that received
Americorps members in the state, and we are new, it would prudent for us to
prove our value to the program as a whole.  So we will likely have our News
Media member assist in this effort.

PROPOSED HIRING SCHEDULE

Although you are welcome to accelerate this schedule, these are the latest
dates things can get done -

Aug 25-28
Applications due

Aug 30 - Sept 5
Review applications and schedule candidates

Sept 6 - Sept 11
Interview candidates

Sept 10 - 8 pm
Special Steering Meeting to discuss Americorps selections

Sept 11 - Sept 17
Select candidates and make an offer

Sept 21
Americorps members give current jobs 2 weeks notice.

Oct 5
Americorps members start at the IMC

Oct 5 - Oct 23
Orientation

Oct 17
Opening Day in Springfield

Also, if you need them - here are some helpful tools for interviewing.  They
are specific to the AmeriCorps program.

http://encorps.nationalserviceresources.org/interviewing_applicants.php

Nicole

--