[Imc-supervisors] Americorps job descrip info

Nicole Pion nicole.pion at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 16:16:58 CDT 2010

Carol and Brian (and all supervisors!)

I've been thinking about this and one of the reasons we didn't get a lot of
good candidates for my VISTA position is that we need to be more specific
and help people understand the benefits of being an AmeriCorps.  I believe
that we need to explain the benefits of service in order to attract good
candidates.  Maybe the supervisors can work with you, Carol, to develop some
ideas that are specific to the UCIMC's program as part of a template for job
descriptions.

For now, folks can visit:
http://www.americorps.gov/for_individuals/benefits/index.asp for more
information on benefits of service through State programs.

Here's some info from the post from last year's positions, updated to
reflect this year's info:

*Benefits of Service:

These are full-time, one year commitments to serve as a State AmeriCorps.
AmeriCorps members receive a living allowance of $11,800, student-loan
forbearance, health coverage, and child care for those who qualify. After
successfully completing your term of service, you will receive an AmeriCorps
Education Award of up to $5,350. This award can be used to pay off qualified
student loans or to finance college, graduate school, or vocational training
at eligible institutions. (from:
http://www.americorps.gov/for_individuals/choose/state_national.asp).  The
UCIMC State AmeriCorps Program will also provide AmeriCorps members with a
bus pass, professional development opportunities, and access to the UCIMC's
many resources. *

*
The UCIMC is a grassroots organization committed to using media production
and distribution as tools for promoting social and economic justice. We
foster the creation and distribution of media, art, and narratives
emphasizing underrepresented voices and perspectives and promote empowerment
and expression through media and arts education.

To this end, the UCIMC owns and operates a Community Media and Arts Center
in the historic downtown post office building, which houses a radio station,
media production facilities, bike coop, performance space, gallery, books to
prisoners project, art studios, library, meeting space, and partner
organizations. Read more: www.ucimc.org.

All positions are based at the UCIMC, in lovely Urbana, Illinois, where art
and activism blossoms, livin' is cheap, and people are friendly.*

*For more information please email: carolammons at gmail.com or call
217-344-8820.*