[Imc-supervisors] Needed information!

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ucimc.org
Mon Nov 8 15:07:10 CST 2010

On the topic of volunteers, groups chronically undercount these numbers.
They tend to think in term of core or repeating volunteers.  If someone
walks into your group for one minute to help, they are a volunteer.  Every
WRFU airshifter and guest on a show is a volunteer.  Every person who helps
out with a show in the shows space, even if we didn't recruit them but the
booker did, is a volunteer.  All the people who did set up, clean up, and
staffing of the book sale is a volunteer.  Every writer  editor and
distributor for the public, is a volunteer.

In addition to volunteers, we want #s on how many people are served. How
many public i readers, prisoners receiving books, listeners of WRFU,
attendees of shows and workshops.

If you have no way of tracking unique individuals, you track every separate
instance of work as a new volunteer or person served.  This is how every
organization does it.

I have attached an Excel spreadsheet I used to estimate #s served and #
volunteers for the Illinois Arts Council grant in 06-07, which could give
you ideas for how to track them, or you could add to it.  Non arts related
programs, like bike project, are missing.

Books to Prisoners tracks this info on their website (which is GREAT - every
group should do this).  The data is pulled from their book shipping
database.  Right now the most recent info is: "we have sent 51989 books in
13863 packages to 8178 inmates!"

Bike Project didn't track bike sales, I think, until recently.  That said,
they could give an estimate.  Sales receipts might give a clue.  This info
is really really imp and needs to be tracked.

Thanks every one for your help with this! I know what Austin is asking for
is daunting - reach out to him for help for ideas in estimating volunteers.

- Danielle