[IMC-US] proposal: US-IMC

max max at michiganimc.org
Tue Jun 17 17:35:40 CDT 2003

--
max’s disclaimer:  this proposal is probably way longer than it needs to be
for the new-imc group, but I thought it would be good to have a full
outline of what’s important regarding creating a US-IMC.  I included a lot
of ideas and issues that were discussed last weekend at the Allied Media
Conference.  So, consider this as both a proposal and as a starting point
for discussion.

NEW-IMC PROPOSAL: US-IMC

WHY A US-IMC?

-The Indymedia network, not approaching four years in age, started in the
United States and expanded outwards.  IMCs exist, as you all probably know,
on all continents, in many languages.  While there exist many country-
specific IMCs, there is no IMC focused solely on the United States, there
are many reasons, however, for such an IMC to exist.

THE GLOBAL SITE:
-A US-IMC would reduce domination of the global indymedia site by US-
specific issues.  While it may not be apparent to many IMCistas in the US,
the global Indymedia site has long been dominated by US-specific stories.
Having a US site would allow the global site to have a fairer and more
balanced distribution of articles and reduce alienation from the global
site that is experienced by many non-US IMCs.  Additionally, a US-IMC would
hopefully encourage the creation of a multi-lingual global site.

THE US-IMC:
Although the content of the global site is disproportionately English
language and US-centric, nevertheless there are many important articles
that get passed up as part of an ongoing attempt to maintain a true global
focus on the global site.  A US-IMC would be the appropriate place for
these types of articles- important stories regarding US politics and
domestic issues.

Furthermore, a US-IMC would strengthen and solidify the Indymedia network
in the US.  Currently, the US IMCs exist in relative isolation from one
another, the only common bond being the global site.  A US_IMC would link
these IMCs in a national network that could potentially become a legitimate
and sustainable rival to the corporate media.

Some possibilities for the US site include a syndicated newswire of US-
features, much like the global site syndicates features from IMCs around
the world.  The features column could include stories published by US IMCs,
articles with information compiled from various US IMCs, and original
pieces written exclusively for the US-IMC.

ORGANIZATION:
So far, three core working groups have been discussed.

OUTREACH:  This group would be responsible for contacting all US-IMCs and
making sure that they are involved in the process of creating he US-IMC.
Additionally, the outreach group could contact other independent media
organizations (especially those in areas where there are no IMCs) to spread
the word about the US-IMC.

EDITORIAL:  The editorial group will be responsible for newswire
maintenance (if an open newswire is part of the site) and feature
writing/compiling/editing.

TECH: The tech group will be responsible for maintaining the tech aspects
of the site, from installing a codebase to fixing bugs as well as general
maintenance.

These groups should be composed of IMC members from all regions of the US.

It should also be noted that specifics of the editorial group are linked to
what code we decide to use for the site.  For example, the global site uses
a code that requires email discussion and approval of features, while sites
that use dadaIMC code vote on features through the website.

Note about the term US-IMC.  Some folks at the meeting at the Allied Media
Conference expressed concerns with the fact that having a US-IMC
legitimizes or condones the US as an imperialistic superpower that exists
because its founders displaced the indigenous peoples that lived here.
Others recognized this and thought that regardless of our opinions of the
US, it exists, and we live in it, and by calling it the US-IMC, we’re
taking a step towards reclaiming this country for the people that live in
it.  Others suggested alternative names, such as
peopleoftheus.indymedia.org.  Most agreed that us.indymedia.org is better
than usa.indymedia.org as it sounds less like a chant at a pro-war rally
and it’s also “us” in addition to “U.S.”

***