[IMC-US] *PENDING* Proposal for US-IMC -- Version 2.0 [DECISION DEADLINE July 1, 2003]

mike ross mrossimc at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 19 11:49:19 CDT 2003

july 1st deadline sounds good.

Sascha Meinrath <sascha at ucimc.org> wrote:Hi all,

Thanks to Max for getting this started and to the folks who've given
feedback thus far (both on- and off-list). I've cleaned up the language a
bit and incorporated feedback that we've received thus far -- please keep
it coming. Also, I'd like to set a 2-week discussion-deadline before we
send this along to the IMC-US-Process list. This would put our deadline
at July 1, 2003 -- does this work for folks?

--Sascha

***********************
*** US-IMC PROPOSAL ***
***********************

WHY A US-IMC?

The Indymedia network, now approaching its forth anniversary, started in
the United States and expanded outwards. IMCs exist on all continents and
utilize many languages; however, while many country-specific IMCs exist,
currently no IMC focuses on the United States as a whole. There are
several reasons for such an IMC to exist.

A less US-Centric Global Site: A US-IMC would reduce domination of the
global indymedia site by US-specific issues. While it may not be apparent
to many IMC-istas in the US, US stories have been overrepresented on the
global Indymedia site. Having a US site would allow the global site to
have a more balanced and diverse distribution of articles -- helping to
alleviate the alienation experienced by some non-US viewers.
Additionally, a US-IMC would help encourage the creation of a
multi-lingual global site by creating a venue for many English language
posts that otherwise end up on the global site.

The US-IMC: Although the content of the global site is disproportionately
English language and US-centric, because of space limitations, many
important articles are passed up. A US-IMC would be the appropriate place
for these types of articles (e.g., important stories regarding US politics
and domestic issues). Furthermore, a US-IMC would strengthen and solidify
the Indymedia network in the US. Currently, many US IMCs exist in
relative isolation from one another -- the only common news dissemination
point being the global site. A US-IMC would link these IMCs in a national
network that could potentially become a "legitimate" and sustainable rival
to the mainstream corporate media.

A US-IMC is also an effective way to collectivize our struggles and draw
national and international attention to the strong independent media
movement in this troubled country. It will help make each of our local
IMC's stronger by drawing traffic to our local sites whenever a story of
national significance happens in an IMC's home town or state. Plus it will
create a new canvas that we can collaborate on together outside our local
sites. Who knows what new projects could rise out of this?

The suggested format for the US site is a syndicated newswire of US-
features, much like the global site syndicates features from IMCs around
the world. The features column could include stories published by US
IMCs, articles with information compiled from various US IMCs, and
original pieces written exclusively for the US-IMC.

ORGANIZATION -- three core working groups have been discussed:

OUTREACH: This group would be responsible for contacting and inviting all
US-IMCs to be involved in the process of creating the US-IMC.
Additionally, the outreach group would contact other independent media
organizations (especially those in areas where there are no IMCs) to
spread the word about the US-IMC.

EDITORIAL: The editorial group will be responsible for newswire
maintenance (if an open newswire is part of the site) and feature
writing/compiling/editing.

TECH: The tech group will be responsible for maintaining the tech aspects
of the site, from installing a codebase to fixing bugs as well as general
maintenance.

These groups will be composed of IMC members from across the US.

It should also be noted that specifics of the editorial group are linked to
what code we decide to use for the site. For example, the global site uses
a code that requires email discussion and approval of features, while sites
that use dadaIMC code vote on features through the website.

Note about the term US-IMC. Some folks at the meeting at the Allied Media
Conference expressed concerns with the fact that having a US-IMC
legitimizes or condones the US as an imperialistic superpower that exists
because its founders displaced the indigenous peoples that lived here.
Others recognized this and thought that regardless of our opinions of the
US, it exists, and we live in it, and by calling it the US-IMC, we are
taking a step towards reclaiming this country for the people that live in
it. Others suggested alternative names, such as
peopleoftheus.indymedia.org. Most agreed that us.indymedia.org is better
than usa.indymedia.org as it sounds less like a chant at a pro-war rally
and it is also "us" in addition to "U.S."

***

Mike