[IMC-US] Site Design

dnice danscott at rumpus.rackhost.net
Wed Oct 1 12:51:07 CDT 2003

I think the way to move forward on the visual articulation of us-imc is to
first create  an information hierarchy (as in weighted importance not a
system of command and control), a list of all that is going on each page of
the site in order of importance  before we get started on design. All
content on the front page needs to be on this list before a designer starts
working. This may change as we proceed, but its an important starting point
so designers don't waste their time.

For example.
a) banner--title, logo, nav bar (about us, volunteer, ect) search
b) features section with pictures
c) syndicated news.
d) ect...

or
a) banner--title, logo, nav bar (about us, volunteer, ect) search
b) graphics and links to video, radio, paper projects, ect
c) features section with picture
d) ect...

Once this is done i would suggest some friendly competition. Put the content
info out there and solicit designers to create the flavor of the site. This
will be a high profile site, so i think we could get many designers
interested. Once we have a certain amount of submissions we can select the
one we like best. Simple or 3/4 majority not  consensus would be my
recommendation.  We'll never get consensus.

This is how i suggest proceeding. Create a working group for the info
hierarchy, collaborate on the list and then post for comments.  Modify till
there's a general consensus. Then post this to different lists and feature
column of us imcs asking for design mockups.

ok there are still many holes in the process i'm outlining, but i gotta go
and want to get these thoughts out there.

dan
nyc imc