[IMC-US] Re: [New-imc] Philly IMC concerns on IMC-US

Joshua Breitbart breitbart at indymedia.org
Thu Oct 2 10:58:32 CDT 2003

Thoughts on the issues of a bilingual site, open publishing, and "direct
participation".

- bilingual site

I am definitely in favor of building out the bilingual capabilities of the
IMC-US website, along the lines of the http://biotechimc.org/ example.

But I'm also wondering why the Philly IMC hasn't taken steps in this direction
for its own website. A similar portion of that city as of the United States is
Latino/a, but the phillyimc.org website doesn't have any Spanish on it, and the
local paper doesn't make any mention of Spanish-language content that I can see.

The Indypendent from NYC has pushed for that type of inclusion, and it has taken
a lot of effort. Some other local, US-based IMCs have tried, too. But in general
the US-based IMCs are almost entirely English-speaking. It would be great to
change that, but it should be done at the local level. The local IMCs should
drive the regional one, not the other way around.

So, while I support building towards a multilingual IMC-US site, I don't think
it is a critical step. Much more critical is for local IMCs like Philly and NYC
to become fully accessible to the people in their local region. We can take
those steps while we strengthen our regional networks.

- open publishing

I agree with the suggestion for open publishing Ana outlined.

- direct participation

Rather than saying "the IMC US internal discussion include direct participation
from all the US-based and US-territory-based IMCs whose news they syndicate" I
would say "the IMC US internal discussion be open to direct participation from
all the US-based and US-territory-based IMCs whose news they syndicate" since
that reflects how the network is in general. Local IMCs can choose their level
of participation.

In solidarity,
Josh
(from NYC, but not a liason)

Quoting Ana <ana at indymedia.org>:

 Thanks Philly IMC. I think these are very constructive criticisms and
 suggestions. Thanks for taking the time to think them through and write
 them out. Im ccing imc-us here so everyone on that list can see them. We
 will take all your comments all to heart, and already have most of these
 things in mind.

 regarding spanish pages, we would really need to organize a spanish team to
 make this a realistic ongoing project. Its great that Suzq has volunteered
 to help with this, but we need more people to make it actually happen. Its
 possible that we dont get a team like that together before the site goes
 up, but we should at the very least announce on the site that we would like
 to construct those pages and solicit people to be on that working group.
 The NYC IMC's Indypendent newspaper has a latina working group that creates
 their own two pages each issue, and im sure some of those peopel would be
 interested in participating in creating latina pages on the us site. I will
 ask and similarly, we can ask all participating IMCs to do some outreach
 and find at least one person who will want to be part of that team. This
 will be a long-term goal and project. But I agree that is important that
 imc's in the us start thinking bi-lingually.

 The one other area that is still under debate is whether the site should
 have open publishing or not. Many folks (including myself) feel that not
 having one would help keep the focus on local IMC's. We want all features
 to link back to local IMCs or IMCs of other countries. Having an open
 publishing feature would mean imc-us starts having original content, which
 is not necessarily a good thing.  But of course we want people to realize
 they have the power to publish, so one solution might be to have a
 prominent button on the front page saying PUBLISH YOUR MEDIA and that would
 take you to a page that explains open publishing, links to all local U.S.
 IMC publishing pages, and www.indymedia.org's open publishing page. Would
 that satisfy your request? We're all still talking about this, but I would
 like to get your response to this suggestion.

 thanks
 ana