[IMC-US] Re: [New-imc] Re: Proposed New IMC -- IMC-US

Ana ana at riseup.net
Sun Sep 7 12:25:43 CDT 2003

I agree with everyone that a us imc and smaller regional ones are
compatible.

But they are not the same thing by any means. We are talking about two
entirely different projects, each with their own merits, but they are
not interchangeable. Having 5-10 regional IMCs would not lessen the
need in my opinion for a us-based IMC.

Plus there is the not-so-small matter that having 5-10 regional sites
means a lot more work on the part of many more people to not achieve
the same media activist impact that one us-site would.

I have been involved in NENA since it started two years ago. My
impression is that we are all too busy with our own local IMCs to
create another IMC that for the most part would have material that is
redundant to our own local sites, while not achieving the impact we all
imagine with a us-imc. As it is, all the websites in the NE USA have
articles and features about our region, including parts of eastern
Canada, so I really dont see any need to create another website to
repeat all that information.

The difference with a us-imc is that there are people all over the
country who feel a real void in coverage of news in the US from a
radical perspective, for good reason. There are issues that are so
broad in scope that addressing them on a regional IMC feels
insufficient.  Many emails to this list have given examples of the kind
of news a us-imc would feature, so I wont go over that again. But I
will reiterate that these issues tie an american public together,
affecting all the regions of the US, not just one or two. And that is
the point.  We are simply trying to create a webspace where those
issues can be addressed in a manner easily accessible to the entire
american public, where issues and movements can be connected from coast
to coast.

There is a core group of 30 people from IMCs all over this country who
see this need and are willing to work on this project. that is a good
number of people to make it happen. I believe we have already laid out
our decision-making processes. We have established four working groups
to handle various aspects of the site and have said we will use the
same process for features that www-features uses, perhaps even building
and improving upon it. I believe we have also consensed on the
principles of unity and filled out all the paperwork required by
new-imc. If there is something we are missing, please point it out
specifically.

I also want to clarify the syndication issue. I am hearing over and
over again that syndication makes it irrelevent how you group areas
together. I want to stress that this is not simply a syndication site.
It will not look like oceania.indymedia. the point is not simply to
repeat the millions of posts that come through imcs in the us everyday
on five different websites that have regional distinctions. The point
is rather to provide a space where a) features of local imcs in the us
are syndicated on one newswire and b) highlight those stories that have
national impact on a center column with *unified context*. That takes a
lot of dedicated, human work. It not simply a technical matter. But
personally I am looking forward to working with those interested all
over the country to create that critical context and get the
information out to a larger, non-choir american audience. Each day that
goes by that we let Fox news or the New York Times do that for us, the
more work we have to do to catch up.

To address concerns of nationalism, I think we can make a very clear
statement regarding that on the us imc front page, possibly even having
a prominent area of the page that deals specificlaly with
cross-border/no-border issues. Immigration, deportation, natural
resources, native americans, even issues of patriotism, etc certainly
are issues that effect the US in an anti-US kind of way, and we should
highlight those issues with a clear politik of counter-nationalism.

I have rambled on long enough. I want to get moving.
in peace and excitement,

Ana
NYC IMC liaison to the imc-us working group