[IMC-US] banners and width

Aaron Couch imonfire at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 00:25:58 CST 2004

Hello US Indymedia,

I have not been involved in the US site process but I think this is an
important discussion and would like to chime in.  Since I have not
done ANY work for the US site, I don't expect for my comments to be
taken as anything more than comments to be read soley on their wisdom
or lack thereof.

I think that the US Indymedia site should be as text-lite as possible.
Why? Here goes:

I think that the full-browser format that most indymedia sites use is
good for the local sites.   This is because most local indymedia sites
are directed toward local organizing and events, and need to feature
as much content as possible to provide a democratic balance b/w
newswires and features.  Also, most local indymedia's do not have
features regularly enough to have a text-lite site.   If features are
only posted every couple of days, then you want to get the most out of
each feature as possible.

Local indymedia sites are great organizing tools. I think the US site
should be a portal to all that is happening in indymedia, for those
outside (and inside) of the organizing realm.

The US site should look like a legitimate news source for people who
do not have experience with the indymeida network.  A text-heavy site
does not look like a legitmate news site.  Every other news site I can
think of, is very text-lite.  And this is not just for mainstream.
Democracynow.org, salon.com, workingforchange.org, fair.org,
commondreams.org, enn.org... (i could go on) all use text-lite sites.
It is simply easier to read and digest.

I think that the san fran (sf.indymedia.org) site is the best example
from the indy network of what the US site should look like. (I really
like democraynow.org as well). I don't know the details of and don't
want to get intot the whole sf/indybay split.  I do think that the
indybay site (i read both daily) is a better model for a local
indymedia site.  but for the us site, I really feel strongly that the
sf site is a better model for the US site.  Newswire stories are
strictly the title of the story and not any of the text of the story.
I think the US site should follow the same lead.

i have spent a lot of time over the last six months taking a close
look at indymedia site design as i have been redesigning the front end
of the PhillyIMC site (see below for link to latest draft), so i have
webdesign and IMC experience, and am eager to throw up some examples
of what i am talking about if anyone is interested, though i think the
sf site is a brilliant example of what shape the US site should take.

and once again, if my comments seem critical, they should be tempered
with the fact that I am also truly inspired by the US site and what
you have put together.

-Aaron

Aaron Couch
PhillyIMC