[IMC-US] Acorn Offer

joe joe at sl4g.com
Wed Jan 7 13:08:56 CST 2004

Speaking as someone who's only been following the US IMC effort for a
little while, let me suggest a couple of questions that would need to be
addressed before I'd be able to have an opinion on the Acorn offer:

1. I don't know where US-IMC is in the process of going from an idea to
an actual website. Are the stumbling blocks mostly technical
implementation at this point, or are there still questions about how the
site will work? I've been going through the maillist archives but haven't
found much.

2. It's not clear to me what it is exactly that Acorn is offering to do.
Host the site from their webserver? Write lots of custom dadaIMC code?
Perform editorial duties?

3. If the Acorn proposal is agreed upon, would participation in the
project remain truly representative of the whole US, or would US-IMC
unintentionally become Acorn and UCIMC's view of the US?

These all seem to me at least as important as the question of giving
credit.

As has been discussed before and elsewhere, the importance of electronic
communication (emails, pages on docs.indymedia.org) is much greater for
non-local IMCs. I know the people who've been involved with this effort
from the start have already put lots of effort into it, but it's going to
be difficult for anyone else to get involved until a little more
information is available.

- Joe