[IMC-US] Language detection (was Re: software)

Brian Szymanski bks10 at cornell.edu
Thu Jan 22 17:56:55 CST 2004

> Language detection would be nice, i.e. detect what language their
> browser is set for and display the appropriate interface (ala Google).
> Alternately, provide separate versions of the website that you can
> manually switch between (and possibly automatic translation tools for
> news articles). I have a bit of experience with this if anyone's
> interested in working on it and needs some help. Unfortunately, my
> schedule doesn't leave me much hope of working on this by myself (which
> is why Acorn is such a good idea, IMO).
>
> Ryan Smith, Tennessee IMC

In my experience language detection is nice when it works, but it usually
doesn't... A lot of browsers just aren't configured properly to ask for a
non-english page by default. But yeah, language detection is easy...
Barring unforeseen complications, I'll see if I can throw something
together for dada tonight.

Peace,
Brian Szymanski
ski at indymedia.org