[IMC-US] PROPOSAL (was indymedia and google)

deva drdartist at riseup.net
Thu Jul 22 12:11:42 CDT 2004

A couple things -

Josh suggested an idea that is similar to how things are done here in
Portland. In Portland, there is no original content created by the
editorial group for the center column. However, anyone, including
someone who contributes to the editorial group can write an excellent
newswire article which is like a feature with links etc and that then
becomes a feature. People here believe it is an important distinction.

So Josh suggested this for the US Site. Synthesis and Analysis in the
form of compiled articles can always happen. Create it, and post it to
your local imc, and it is then on the US site.

The advantage of this approach is that it encourages a wider variety of
stories, writing styles, viewpoints and opinions on what constitutes
important news. It also keeps the focus on local sources and sites. It
levels the ground so every local imc, with their differing views and
interests will have a strong voice on the site.

An editorial group writing for the center column will be a very small
number of people who will then have a rather disproportionate voice.
Add this to the lack of ability of everyone else to post anything at
all (without the open publishing wire) and the site has traveled far
from the original vision of providing a forum for anyone to post news.
I do not automatically say traveling far is a bad idea in all cases,
but in this case I do think it is.

Ideas of what constitutes good 'journalism', or what empowers people,
of the value of looking 'legitimate' all differ. An editorial group
will make its decision about these things, and then other ways will
fight to be included, or accept being excluded. The approach Josh is
suggesting, makes it less likely to fight over editorial content and
style, while promoting greater diversity. (which is needed)

Tribal raises a good point about the breaking news. I agree that the
editorial group should post breaking news.

The editorial group could still add some links to syndicated features

I do not know if anyone likes the idea, but it pleases me to have a
general guideline of only adding links to local indymedia articles and
features. This way all added links would point towards a local imc
site. At the same time, the editorial group could work with local
indymedias to add other links and info to their features. This would
promote more interaction between imc's and better collaboration and
strengthen local imc's. I like this idea.

cheers
deva