[IMC-US] RE: Indymedia Newsreal Tour Grant Proposal

deva drdartist at riseup.net
Thu Jun 17 17:40:15 CDT 2004

Hi People,

The basic problem, is that the individuals planning this tour, are
paying themselves $5000 each out of the grant money to do it. Since
they are doing this in the name of the indymedia newsreal project, then
you have people being paid to do indymedia work.

Making profit off of the work of others aint gonna fly in my book.
Using the name indymedia in order to get money, then taking some of
that money for oneself, is a using of all the people who volunteer
their time to make the indymedia name something of value.

Being paid to do work that others are volunteering their time for,
creates a split, a heirarchy and breeds resentment and mistrust. It is
a bad idea. I am adamantly opposed to people being paid to do indymedia
work. I believe if such practice becomes common, that this will mark
the death of indymedia.

There also seems to be unclarity about how the currently selected tour
director obtained the position as at least 2 applicants have complained
about the process. There also appears to have been no little or no
outreach to the local IMC's this tour is supposed to visit.

Beyond these things is a deeper issue. Right use of resources. This
grant is going to fund this tour. Somewhere between $20,000 and
$30,000. That is an enormous amount of money!  Half of it goes to
salary. Another significant portion goes to rental car and hotel. What
a waste of resources.

Here we stand, on the brink of environmental catastrophe, in large part
due to unnecessary consumption. Isn't it high time we give more
consideration to the right use of resources?

deva
portland imc