[IMC-US] mission statement, press release changes

daniel scott danscott at rumpus.rackhost.net
Thu Oct 28 18:49:19 CDT 2004

PRESS RELEASE BODY  (I made a few changes and additions. I like that
the first sentence is more specific then the previous version, but it
is still an awkward beginning. hopefully someone with more skillz can
clean it up.)

Just in time for the US presidential election and in the shadow of the
recent FBI seizures of Indymedia servers, U.S. Indymedia announces the
launch of its website, http://us.indymedia.org. The U.S. Indymedia site
is a network of solidarity and communication between communities
engaged in struggles for social, environmental and economic justice
nationally and internationally. Linking autonomous US-based IMCs, U.S.
Indymedia features a syndicated wire of all feature articles published
by participating US-IMCs. The site features original content from local
Independent Media Centers as well as content exclusive to the U.S.
site. Because of its scope, U.S. Indymedia draws connections between
local issues and makes them relevant to a larger audience. While
participating Indymedia Centers are US based, US Indymedia remains
firmly committed to the ideas of international solidarity and mutual
aid integral to the Indymedia network.

As with all IMC sites, the U.S. Indymedia newswire offers people the
option to become the media by posting their articles, analysis, videos,
audio clips and artwork directly to the web site, but the U.S. IMC
encourages readers to visit their local sites first (listed in the
left-hand column) and participate in their community. The U.S. IMC's
main goal is to present local features from Independent Media Centers
across the United States and to feature stories that are of immediate
critical importance nationally.

Indymedia is a grassroots network committed to using media production
and distribution as tools for promoting social and economic justice. We
are dedicated to addressing issues that the mainstream media neglects.
We hope to empower people to "become the media" by providing democratic
access to available technologies and information. There are currently
more than 164 autonomous Independent Media Centers around the world.

Visit the site at: http://us.indymedia.org/en

MISSION STATEMENT (ana: my 2 cents to the mix. the important addition
is the focus on nationalism and international solidarity.)

Linking autonomous and participatory US-based IMCs, Indymedia.us is a
network of solidarity between communities engaged in struggles for
social, environmental and economic justice. Indymedia.us seeks to
identify and create positive models for a sustainable and equitable
society while generating independent news, free of the biases inherent
in the profit driven corporate media. While participating Indymedia
Centers are US based, US Indymedia remains firmly committed to the
ideas of international solidarity and mutual aid integral to the
Indymedia network.

The site features original content from local Independent Media Centers
as well as content exclusive to the U.S. site. Features in the center
column are taken either directly from local US-based IMCs  or the open
publishing newswire. Features may also be 'compilations' which
typically cover an event or issue that occurs simulataneously in
different locations and are covered by several local IMCs. Articles in
the right hand column are taken directly from local IMCs.

As a whole, Indymedia is a grassroots network committed to using media
production and distribution as tools for promoting social and economic
justice. We are dedicated to addressing issues that the mainstream
media neglects. We hope to empower people to "become the media" by
providing democratic access to available technologies and information.
The first IMC was created in Nov 1999 to cover the WTO protests in
Seattle. Currently there are more than 164 autonomous Independent Media
Centers around the world.