[IMC-US] Boston IMC open newswire is syndicated (was: Google News)

Chris Anderson chanders_imc at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 19 11:09:55 CDT 2005

Hi all,

This is right on target. In fact, for the first day or
two, they were syndicating everything, but I contacted
them to get it changed and it was. If you look up "NYC
Independent Media Center" on google news you should
see the change kick in on April 13 or so.

That said... it seems that all of Boston IMC is
getting syndicated, including the open wire. Do folks
have a contact for the people in Boston to trey and
get it changed?

chris

--- Ryan Kaldari <kaldari at monsterlabs.com> wrote:

> Chris,
> Please make sure that Google News is not syndicating
> your newswire!
> Just because you ask them to only syndicate your
> features, doesn't mean
> that's what they will do. San Francisco IMC asked
> them to only
> syndicate features and even built a special page for
> them to crawl
> (since Google News doesn't use RSS), but Google News
> syndicated the
> entire site anyway. This led to anti-Semitic rants
> being picked up on
> Google News and San Francisco IMC being permanently
> banned from Google
> News (along with all other US IMCs for a couple
> years). TN IMC also
> asked Google News to only syndicate our features,
> but  they syndicated
> the whole site. Luckily we were able to patch our
> IMC software to block
> the Google Webcrawler from everything but features
> before anything too
> embarrassing got picked up.
>
> Since the people at Google News seem to think that
> all IMCs are part of
> one monolithic organization, It is VERY IMPORTANT
> that you make sure
> Google News is not syndicating your newswire.
> Otherwise, it could lead
> to all IMCs being dropped from Google News (as
> happened in 2003).
> Please don't let that happen, as we have worked very
> hard over the past
> two years to convince Google News to give Indymedia
> another chance.
>
> If you need any technical assistance on making sure
> that Google News
> only sees your features, please don't hesitate to
> get in touch with me.
>
> Ryan Kaldari, Tennessee IMC
>
> On Apr 15, 2005, at 9:10 AM, Chris Anderson wrote:
>
> > Heads up:
> >
> > Google News is now syndicating NYC IMC features.
> > http://news.google.com/news?

hl=en&ned=us&q=nyc+independent+media+center&ie=UTF-8&scoring=d