[IMC-US] noborder encuentro in san diego

onto onto at riseup.net
Wed Aug 24 00:37:00 CDT 2005

hello all. So I forgot to put together the encuentro feature! But now
that I remembered, I'm working on it, and should get it organized soon.
In the meantime, I wanted to ask the imc-us list if anyone is coming
down to San Diego for the NoBorder Encuentro. Do people need a place to
stay? If there is a group of imcistas, wanna have a meeting? Or at least
coordinate coverage? We will have an imc reportback table set up at the
encuentro on Sunday. That said, please get back to me, or just come and
call when you get here (email me for #)!  The more that indymedia folks
get together to strategize, the stronger the network becomes. Hope to
see at least one other imcista . . .

besos,
onto

Below I'm putting the latest update from the o.r.g.a.n.i.c. collective:

Hola Todos. Thank you for all the responses and rsvp's about the tour
and the conference. Just to clear some things up, you CAN come to any
part of the Encuentro without going to the rest. If you just want to see
the Panels and Workshops on Sunday, or perhaps just go to the Concert
and Tour, thats fine.

As we get closer to the Encuentro, great new people keep getting
involved! Last week, we got confirmation of involvement from the Ruckus
Society, who will be leading the Direct Action trainings. Also, Roy San
Filipo, former member of the Love and Rage Revolutionary Anarchist
Federation and current member of Bring the Ruckus, will be speaking at
our benefit show on the night of the 27th about anti-racist organizing.
We've also got confirmation of two more grant bands for that show,
Boomerang Politick, leftist Hip Hop from LA and Dias Tristes, a great
punk/indie band from Tijuana.

For our complete schedule of events, please see:
http://deletetheborder.org/?q=node/87

Details about the Maquiladora Tour:

Meet at 9:30am at the San Ysidro Trolley Stop. Its the last stop south
on the Blue line. For directions, please see below. We will walk across
the border at 10am to meet our guide from the Maquiladora Solidarity
Network. He will take us to Cittac (http://cittac.org), the Workers
Information Center, for a presentation about workers conditions in
Maquiladoras in Tijuana. Afterwards, a short lunch. If you want, bring
your own lunch. We will be stopping at a little shop for food as well

 >From there, we will go to a Maquila site, to observe the toxic
environments in which workers produce. After, if there is time, we will
visit a community where Maquila workers live to see the conditions of
daily life that Maquiladoras provide.  We shall head back around 2pm and
get back into San Diego by 3pm.

Many of the people from the Maquiladora Solidarity Network that are
usually present during the tour will be in Chiapas this same weekend for
some civil meetings with the Zapatistas. Hence, the tour will be lighter
than usual, with fewer guides and presenters.

Other Options:

People are welcome to go to Las Playas, the beach separated by the
border, all day Saturday in Tijuana as well. A binational art festival
called InSite05 will be happening all day there.

Saturday Night:

Voz Alta, 1544 Broadway, 16th and Broadway, 7pm-1am
Beats Against Borders Benefit Concert at Voz Alta! Entartete Kunst from
the Bay Area, Boomerang Politick from LA, and Dias Tristes from Tijuana
will be blasting Hip-Hop and Punk from 7pm till closing.  Roy San
Filipo, formerly of the Love and Rage Revolutionary Anarchist Federation
and currently of Bring the Ruckus, will be giving a talk on reflections
on anti-racist organizing  at the show. An Indymedia photo and video
exhibit will be present at Voz Alta and next door at Landlord Jim's Bar
as well.

Sleeping:
If you still need housing, please email us at info at organiccollective.org
and we will work it out.

Sunday:

Sherman Heights Community Center 2258 Island Ave, 22nd and
Island Av., 10am-6pm
The full day of panels, workshops, art, and strategy begins at the
Sherman Heights Community Center at 9:30am with Cafe Anarquista. From
then on begins workshops and panels on the  history of Border violence,
Indigenous Cross-border struggles, Zapatismo and Migrant solidarity,
Anti-Minutemen Strategizing, Direct Action I and II, Border Disturbance
Art, and a talk by Anarchist Black Panther, Ashanti Alston. Space for
banner making, video/audio reportbacks, reading, and childcare will be
available as well.

Directions to the NoBorder Encuentro:

A. The San Ysidro trolley stop - Meeting point of Maquiladora Tour -
Sat, Aug 27th, 9:30am

             From the Trolley: Take the Blue line south to the last exit

              In a car: Take the 5 South to the Parking Exit 1A to the
Last US Exit. Turn left on Camino de la Plaza. Turn Right on E. San
Ysidro Blvd.
              700 East San Ysidro Blvd.

              From the East: Take the 54 W to the 805 S. Get off on the
Last USA Exit/All Vehicles with Cargo. Turn left on Camino de la Plaza.
Turn right at E San Ysidro Blvd. 700 East San                    Ysidro
Blvd.

B. Voz Alta -1544 Broadway - "Beats Against Borders" Benefit Concert,
Sat Aug 27th 7pm

           From the North: Take the 5 South to the 10th Avenue exit.
Downtown will be in the background. Go Down 10 Ave until you hit
Broadway. Take a left on Broadway. Voz Alta is on
Broadway between 15th and 16th, right next to the bar "Landlord Jims".
1544 Broadway.

           From the East: Take thr 94 West. Get off at the F street
exit. Continue on F street to 15th. Turn right on 15th street. Turn
right at Broadway. 1544 Broadway.

  C. Sherman Heights Community Center - 2258 Island Ave - NoBorder
Encuentro Conference, Sun Aug 28th 10am-6pm,

             From the North: Go 5 South. Get off on the 94 East exist,
and stay in the right hand lane. Veer into the G street exit. Take the
first right on 22nd. Turn left on Island. 2258 Island
    Ave.

            From the East: Take the 94 West to the 25th St exit. Turn
Left on 25th Street. Turn Right on Island. 2258 Island Ave.

Volunteers are still needed for: translation, child care, registration
and food. If you can help, email
encuentro-registration at organiccollective.org. We have a few translators
ready to help, but we still need more. (in particular we need the
schedule translated to put in the program!)

Also, help is still needed with outreach, there are new posters en
español here:
http://deletetheborder.org/?q=node/169
and in english here:
http://deletetheborder.org/?q=node/160

We're still looking for more housing, and folks can always use rides to
get here from all the far away places people are coming from. If you can
share either of these two things, you can post on these two forums:

housing: http://deletetheborder.org/?q=node/152
rides: http://deletetheborder.org/?q=node/151

or just email housing at organicCollective.org

Please feel free to email us with any questions, thoughts, critiques,
comments, stories, songs, or fables at info at organiccollective.org

Nos vemos muy pronto por la frontera, caminar preguntando . . .

saludos,
the o.r.g.a.n.i.c. collective

http://deleteTheBorder.org
http://organicCollective.org