[IMC-US] more on: PropaGannon scandal rocks White House

Chris Anderson chanders_imc at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 12 00:02:03 CST 2005

Here's an UNFINISHED draft of some thoughts on Gannon. I'll certainly add more to it tomorrow, and when its done it'll be up on the nyc-imc website for use at imc us if people want it.

----

Why <b>shouldn't</b> James Guckert (aka 'Jeff Gannon')have been allowed in the White House briefing room?
 criticize J.D. Guckert?
But the issue goes deeper than this. After all, we in the alternative media have been gleefully tearing down the walls that separate journalists from ordinary people for close to six years now. It seems the Bush administration is cynically taking our advice, and doesn't seem to care who is a "journalist" these days as long as this or that person is on their side. As White House spokesman Scott McClellan <a href=http://wmass.indymedia.org/otherpress/display/276>said</a> on Friday, "in this day and age, when you have a changing media, it's not an easy issue to decide or try to pick and choose who is a journalist."  Of course, as long as they spin your lies and shill for your domestic programs its easy to look the other way.

Tribal Scribal <valeoftheoaks at hotmail.com> wrote:
just checking in for a minute. i'll take a stab at "tying it all together"
in the AM if no one does a workup before then, but we need more indy links.
i was hoping dc would have something up, but no dice. you guys in nyc have
today's interview between "gannon" and E&P here:
http://nyc.indymedia.org/newswire/display/141366/index.php which helps, but
we have no original indy material (commentary anyone?).

i think "what can indymedia add that everyone else cant?" is to get into the
nuances of what constitutes journalism. This will be dicey. As we all know,
indy's been slammed for not being "real journalists" too. This is where i
need to hear from you guys. Talon is an obvious PR front for far-right
operatives. It's lies and disinforms. Indy is democratic grassroots,
advocacy journalism. I would hope that we all strive to seek the truth, but
it's open publishing and that leaves us open to disinfo as well. How do we
make the distictions here? How do we make the case that indy should be in
the room and talon shouldn't? OR do we just blow this part of the story off
and hope that it doesn't come back & bite us in the ass?

Also, we need to keep the focus on the Bush regime's MASSIVE public
relations scam and manipulation of the corporate media. The White House is
going to pull out all the stops to move the focus over to the need to
improve security ("how'd this guy get into the WH so easy" blaa, blaa). They
may even find some McClellan underling to fall on his sword. The corporado
media will probably follow suit (even though they've been publicly shafted).

Your thoughts?

d.o.

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as
necessary in the political world as storms in the physical world."

- Thomas Jefferson
more rebellion here:
http://concertobi.blogspot.com/

http://mail.yahoo.com