[IMC-US] PROPOSAL: Defining decision making ont he site (deadline1/12/05)

bht bht at indymedia.org
Sat Jan 8 17:01:01 CST 2005

Hi, responses below!

ahhh! Andy Pyle
> I take complete exception to this proposal.  I think it is a bad idea.
> This is a block.
>
> 1). making people political decision makers because of technical expertise
> is the road to
> capitalism.  This was one the things contributing to the restoration of
> capitalism in the
> old USSR.   The project becomes a form of "property" and the techs become
> the "owners".

as john pointed out, this has nothing to do with techies.  it is people
that contribute to move syndicated features to promoted features, a click
of one button :-)  it is peoplethat will dedicate a small bit of time,
hiding duplicate features, proposing features, following up on things,
etc.

> 2).  US Indymedia is a nationwide project and the direction of the site
> should be subject
> to control by the various US based Indymedias, not by a tiny group who
> have gotten
> themselves on the inside.  (I recognize that it was their conception and
> they have done
> all the work - that's not my point.)

The people that coceived of the us indymedia have largely been
unresponsive.  That is the root of the prods I am making.  This proposal
was specifically to try to get those folks that talked about this site
over two years ago to rekindle thier relationship.  Right now there are a
very few folks that work on the site, none of which have been around since
the beginning. Or people that have really gotten on the inside, just
people that like the project and are passionate about helping it grow.

> 3).  It seems that the present editorial direction of US Indymedia
> represents mostly only
> one political trend, i.e. those who think electoral politics is important.
>  Freezing all
> decision making to those currently doing the work might shut out other
> viewpoints, which I
> believe are in the majority in Indymedia overall.

i think the trend you are seeing results from the muddled reason for a us
imc.  initially it was set up to be a cover point for national issues.
thinking about it, elections are really the only national issues.  and
that is also what is hot right now.  i have asked before for folks to
throw out a vision of the site, how to use it once we have exhausted the
election points.

> 4).  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

While this site 'aint broke' it doesnt necessarily work.  and we will need
input to help make it work.

> This is my own personal opinion and I am not speaking as a delegate from
> cleveland.indymedia.
>
> To reiterate, this is a block.

Hopefully, you can see the points made, and if you wish to continue
blocking, offer a different way to move forward and use this site.

bht
portland