[IMC-US] all volunteer PROPOSAL

nick sarsnic at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 03:31:23 CST 2005

I propose that we declare ourselves an all-volunteer collective in
line with Houston's declaration...

http://houston.indymedia.org/news/2004/10/33558.php
--------------------------
Various IMC's already have paid positions and we are not undertaking
to block this, or to make the Principles of Unity more strict. But we
hope that consensually, many other collectives around the world will
join us.

 - New volunteers are encouraged to contribute more, and in the
directions they most value, when they see they others working for
free.

 - When one person doesn't have enough time to do all the work, it
encourages taking turns, and workgroups implementing collective
processes.

 - Payment creates hierarchies.

 - Without clear boundaries, IMC's can morph into typical NGOs (at
first, collectives might pay those selling ads, then office managers,
and eventually editors and journalists).

 - In keeping with the original purpose and roots of IMC, HIMC looks
to the Zapatista model of resistance, in which teachers, members of
the good government committees, and even doctors are not paid, but
must organize money for food outside of their activism.