[IMC-US] all volunteer PROPOSAL

faith swords faith at ucimc.org
Fri Jan 14 12:22:21 CST 2005

i just noticed this discussion in the digest i get.

speaking as one of the paid people at the UCIMC, i very much support the
all-volunteer collective proposal.

the only scenario in which i would not support it is if there was no one
who could volunteer to do the work, but i don't see this happening with
this collective.

i am paid to do the book-keeping at the UCIMC. in any given week, i
process between several hundred and several thousand dollars, and spend
between 2 and 10 hours doing so (including paying out money to our
sponsored projects). it's a pretty big job, and i would not be able to
take the time off from my regular job to do it for free. also, i am a lot
cheaper than a real accountant :). if i could afford to do the
book-keeping for free, i would. but i can't.

my $.03...

--faith