[IMC-US] all volunteer PROPOSAL

nick sarsnic at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 16:11:04 CST 2005

Josh:

>And, although I am certainly no expert on the Zapatistas, I'm not
convinced that if they were in New York City they wouldn't allow some
people to receive a subsistence wage in US$.

While, as a privileged person in the US, I am not personally offended
by this, it strikes me as kinda insensitive and off-base.
"Subsistence" means barely sufficient to maintain life.  There numbers
of Zapatistas who are starving or have been displaced from their own
land are significant, and it certainly seemed to me that the majority
of children are subsisting on beans and fried tortillas.

Chris:
>I have concerns, however, about
the proposal in a general sense, as well as the manner
in which it has been presented to various IMC's.

If you have suggestions for how I and others who have been backing
this proposal could better present this idea to various IMCs, please
let us know.  In Houston we decided to use these words:
"We know various IMC's already have paid positions and we are not
undertaking to block this, or to make the Principles of Unity more
strict."
and to me, that seemed like a good way to present the idea without
authoritarianism over the decisions of other collectives.

>I also think that Indymedia "didn't really emerge out of
the mouth of Marcos" (like Athena out of the head of
Zeus) but rather emerges out of the hard work of a lot
of different people.

That's true too, but I do think it's strange how little
acknowledgement of this essential connection to the Zapatistas there
is in the network.