[IMC-US] IMC-US Revival (please respond)

muna rva imc muna at richmondindymedia.org
Sat Mar 5 12:55:23 CST 2005

> 1.  Your working name/nickname

Muna

muna at richmondindymedia.org

> 3.  Which imc you volunteer with

Richmond Indymedia, or RVA IMC

> 4.  What do you want to see happen, do you want to do, how much do you
> want to participate, or any other comments/suggestions!

I approach Indymedia from an organizing standpoint: the more people posting and
using their voice, the closer we are to getting them in the streets, thus all
the closer is the beautiful spring day of the revolution when I get to play
videogames and ride my bike and eat ice cream all day. The more folks
comfortable with technology and capable of using technology to create the world
they want, the better and stronger that spring will be (I want good competitors
for Tony Hawk games).

I have minimal interest in Indymedia being just another alternative news source.
I don't want folks to be news consumers, but rather news creators. The extent
that US Indymedia makes it clear that this country is actively resisting its
authorities is what gets me going. I think you can read the corporate news and
have plenty of good reasons to be outraged. I think if you're a women, a person
of color, a poor person, or anyone else that's been screwed over again and
again, you don't need more media. You don't need to be told what is wrong --
you know it and live it down to every little detail. You need and want some
tools to fight with. You want people who will stand up and fight with you.

To be task specific: I think the two huge huge problems with the US site right
now are that it's not fully translated into Spanish (I'm sorry, I don't speak
Spanish, so I can only perphireally help with this) and that not all the US
sites are syndicated. Richmond Indymedia still ain't, but we've been working
with John to fix this. I promised during that process that once we're on the US
line and I understand the process, I would help get in touch with all the other
IMCs that aren't syndicated and walk them through the process.

About that last point specifically: it sounds like some IMCs in the US are
opting out of this project. I'm interested in background about this from
whoever feels like talking to me about it.

> 5.  Do you want/have admin access to us.indymedia.org?

I've got admin, but haven't had to use it lately -- Thanks, everyone who's
lighting up the US site!

> Thanks,
>
> Sakura Saunders
> indybay.org

Thanks so much, Sakura, for pulling us together.