[IMC-US] all-volunteer survey questions draft

deva drdartist at riseup.net
Sat Mar 19 11:33:47 CST 2005

I think it is good...

On Mar 13, 2005, at 10:23 PM, nick wrote:

>>> for IMCs in our hemisphere - any feedback before I translate and
>>> send it?
>>> Peace,
>>> Nick
>>> For each of these, do you and / or your local imc agree or disagree?
>>>
>>> 1) Our imc is currently all volunteer.

portland is all volunteer

>>> 2) Our imc intends to remain all volunteer in the future.

portland has added its all volunteer status to its own principles of
unity and intends to stay so in the future

>>> 3) The Principles of Unity should have included a statement against
>>> the payment of money to imc members for doing imc work.

maybe, but it is too late now

>>> 4) The question of having paid members is best left to each imc to
>>> decide, instead of imposing authoritarian rules now, after some imcs
>>> have already created paid positions.

yes, it is best left to each imc to decide. Some imc's are paying one
or few people. While there may be good reasons to do so in the short
term, I would say in the longer term this would be a destructive
practice without an effort to pay all contributors equally based upon
their contributions.

>>> 5) It would be a good step if some imcs publicly announce themselves
>>> as all-volunteer.

some imc's are doing so. that is their choice. I favor that personally.

>>> 6) This is not such an important question and not worth spending much
>>> time or effort on.

Getting good media work done (either developing media infrastructure or
producing media) is the primary work. With the accelerating rise of the
authoritarian corporate state in the US and worldwide, I would say imc
as we know it may well be short lived. I believe no rule or
organizational structure as such can save us. We must all stay agile
and able to change swiftly to meet the challenges ahead.

deva
portland imc contributor