[IMC-US] more about the conference

bht bht at indymedia.org
Mon May 16 12:07:47 CDT 2005

i was doing more research today and came about this gem from the blog:
http://newshare.typepad.com/newshare/ about some of the work jessica
from arizona did.

      Journalists suggests solutions for media crisis; website for
      un-reported stories

A website or other resource which would research and publicize stories
which aren’t making it into established newspapers was suggested today
during a caucus of some 100 journalists.

The journalists caucused in a moderated session at the National
Conference for Media Reform in St. Louis. The session was moderated by
Linda Foley, president of the The Newspaper Guild-Communications Workers
of America.

Jessica Lee <mailto:cienega at gmail.com>, a writer at Arizona Indymedia in
Tucson, Ariz., urged fellow reporters who are having trouble getting
stories printed or broadcast to contact their local Indymedia
organization and offer the story to them. “The commercial media is
paying attention to Indy Media,” said Lee. “The New York Times and the
Washington Post picks up stories from Indymedia. “If you face a brick
wall, publish to our sites first and then go to your newspaper so it can
get onto two sites, but your newspaper won’t take control of your
story,” said Lee.

Lee’s suggestion was picked up by other commentators during the
90-minute give-and-take session, including Roldo Bartimole
<mailto:roldo at adelphia.net>, a newsletter writer from Cleveland Heights,
Ohio. “Undermine those people that are stopping you. Undermine them by
telling your story.”

“I’d like to second, or third the motion to create a place where you put
all the things,” said Brecken Chinn Swartz <mailto:brecken at voanews.com>,
a TV producer at the Voice of America. “This could become a very
exciting thing.”

Journalists need to support each other, said Foley. “When there are
stories about media diversity that need reporting, make sure they get in
print. We should get stories about media atrocities or media grievances
aired or run.” And when journalists are ganged up upon by people in
power, including politicians, “we need to support them.”

--
"Having a feeling is not illegitemate, unprofessional etc. Being emotionally unbiased is living a life with no passion." --Laila Imc-Sweden