[IMC-US] personal reprtback for indy folks about the NationalCOnference on Media Reform.

onto onto at riseup.net
Mon May 16 12:44:35 CDT 2005

Thank you everyone for writing your accounts of this event. To all those
who went, I hope Carly from SD brought the love of the entire SD
collective. I'm so happy to read that such quick thinking combined
diverse tactics of action and media making were discussed and actualized
in such a short time period. Thats a beautiful thing. It feels good to
know that I belong to such a network as indymedia.

Its strange. In the states, saying I work with indymedia always got me
blank looks or rolled eyes. Yet, here, a little south, the zapatista
community I was with and the guatemalan journalists I've met only give
hugs and smiles when I mention it.

still outside america,
onto

(anyone coming down to san diego for BorderHack? . . Aug 3-7)

inner_alchemy at Safe-mail.net wrote:
> [...]
>
> the original plan would have been to have seperate caucuses at the CAMP building with a focus on imc and freepress was willing to help bus people over, but that wasn't an option thanks to the city of st. louis who won't let us open.
>
> but back to the conference... bht laid out the weekend events. so i'll just throw in my two cents..
>
> WHAT I LIKED:
> - meeting lovely imc folks from all over the country.
> - those people who helped out with CAMP, promote stlimc, and just in general how imcistas help each other out
> - the thursday night party (and i kinda liked the party at my house, although i was exhausted)
> - seeing imc in action saturay night with the impromptu computer lab.
> - spreading word about imc to people to have never heard of it
>
> WHAT I DISLIKED:
> - not being able to particpate more in the panels.  we got a lot of talking TO us
> - being hungry
> - area african american journalists not present at the conference
> - not talking more about media justice (i've never really heard this specific term before, but understand it's concept and want to look more into it)
> - was that i was tired the whole time and kinda cranky and too tired to have a lot of fun
>
> WHAT I EXPECTED (AND GOT):
> - lots of white, well off faces
> - REFORM REFORM REFORM conversation that i didn't understand
> - liberals
> - support from people that i both knew and didn't know and how people were helpful
>
> WHAT I DIDN'T EXPECT:
> - so many different imc's represented
> - people to read the confluence and go to freepress to confront them about the issue.  it was media action in process and really great :)
> - so much enthusiasm from folks who WEREN'T imcistas
>
> OVERALL - the sessions were kind of irritating, however, they were exactly as i would have expected.  hearing lots of comments about how freepress didn't include imc in the past, i expected reservations from them this year, however, i'm sure it didn't help when i was the same person trying to get them to sign the letter to the mayor that they refused to do.  i was a consistant pain in their ass and i was okay with that.  i felt inspired, as i usually do with imc gatherings, with the energy and people and ideas and refuse to get upset with the reform conversations because it was a reform conference.  i would like to continue the imc pressence at these events, but only to promote imc's in general, bring together media reform and media justice, and of course challenge their means of reform and their general conference happenings.    however, i don't want myself to concentrate on the negative, but use it for a driving force in the next couple months to increase my contacts and
 knowledge and kick ass in the future.