[IMC-US] personal reprtback forindy folks abouttheNationalCOnference on Med

sheri at speakeasy.org sheri at speakeasy.net
Thu May 26 17:29:21 CDT 2005

hi again,

> Putting aside for the moment the basic generalization that We (as in all of
> us) are "approaching this in a very us-them strategy", i feel compelled to
> point out that some of us have made numerous efforts in the past to
> communicate with various media reform groups and associated high-profile
> individuals in those groups to no avail. How can one (or a group)"engage in
> strategic dialogue" when the other party does not respond?
>
> There exists an elitism in some media reform groups, independent media
> operations, and the u.s. left in general, that has built a firewall between
> "famous" activists/personalities and those of us in the ranks who attempt to
> dialogue or interact with them.  Naturally there's going to ba a "reaction"
> after you've bashed your head over-and-over again against a brick wall of
> silence. Yes, one can come up with "proactive" responses to elitism (in its
> many forms, not just neglect), but the underlying mentality that fostered
> that neglect remains until it can be transformed, and the personal pain or
> anger resulting from the elitism remains as well.
>
> I'm of the opinion that until we can come up with answers and solutions to
> elitism, even in our own ranks (i might add), efforts to truly address the
> other issues we've been discussing here will always be hampered. This is not
> to say that solutions can't and won't be reached, but that there is a sort
> of low-level  background radiation of ill feelings and resentment that will
> continue to effect the work.

i used the "us-them" framing to illustrate a point.  clearly this is not a black and white thing.  i have spent most of the past 15 years being involved in both efforts so that makes me slightly schizophrenic perhaps.  the us-them is a kind of thinking that we easily slip into, it's our cultural conditioning.

elitism and the subsequent refusal to engage in dialogue with those you think aren't worthy of it is a huge problem.  i do believe there are multiple reasons for groups and individuals getting into this framework and i would lump it into a kind of fundamentalist thinking - we've got it all figured out, we're more radical than they are, we're more professional than they are, we're more powerful than they are, we're better than they are, what could they possibly have to offer us, why would we want to be involved with reformers anyway, why would we want to really sit down at the proverbial table with radical activists who are just covering protests, etc.....so the thinking goes.  it's a limiting, self-limiting way of orientation to the world.  it does not mean that we (or anyone) needs to engage in compromise.  compromise is an insufficient strategy.

elitism is what happens when you forget how you got where you are and that where you are going is still unknown and that you will need to learn and cooperate with others to achieve something beyond yourself.  it's a way of thinking about how to accomplish change.

personally i think the rock stars of our movement have gotten stale and i for one want to see NEW stars up on the panels and on stage and when there is someone like malkia or people like her or like sonali from kpfk in los angeles who speak a fresh language, i get all excited.  i like amy goodman but is she the only person out there on the left making media who deserves recognition and a voice.  if we really lived up to our give voice to the voiceless, what about all the other voices who are creating the edges of the movement and pushing power to the edges.  i'm tired of amy goodman being a hero for the alternative media movement.  i think that is elitism and it's boring as well and it doesn't show that there has been any movement.

and not to mention that amount of money that goes to democracy now and alternet and all the likes of the "progressive media movement".....you'd think that they were the only ones out there.  they get alot of money and that is GREAT!  but we need to redistribute the wealth a little bit.  i am not bashing amy as a person, but the fact that there are others who are out there doing good work and i'd like to hear from them for a change.  any alternative media/independent media conference i go to seems to have amy there.  please please let us have more voices.  even in austin there was amy.  and yes she's great, but i've heard her rap over and over again.  at least in austin it wasn't the east timor rap.  i'm making a point here, but i do think we need to have more people who we can look to, not as leaders, but as models and as inspirers and as catalysts and we need new ones.

WE need to hear from new people who have new visions and who are the young people who are exploring new ways of doing things and who have different insights, and people who have been marginalized in different ways who see things with different eyes.

it is this inclusivity that shifts the dynamics of elitism.  elitism says WE are the ones.  that's a form of fundamentalism - WE have the answer and no one else does.  inclusivity and diversity are key to our evolution.....

and remember that words do not hold all the truth in them, but i believe it is THROUGH the act of dialogue that we learn more than if i say here's truth and you say here's truth...we're breaking down our assumptions of how we must transform things by engaging in really throughtful profound dialogue about the most important issues facing our time - creating new forms of democracy, transforming our communications systems to be for people, working with people across diverse lines of difference, being compassionate towards many....solving problems that are complex and overwhelming WITH groups of people through new self-governance models.

that means what i've written here isn't my truth, it is an expression of something and it is a moment of sharing and hopefully i will only learn from those who share with me as we evolve, adapt and self-organize in this crazy world of ours.

love
sheri