[IMC-US] Do people want an IRC meeting on June 7, 05?

bht bht at indymedia.org
Tue May 31 10:31:52 CDT 2005

Hi all.  For those that want to participate in IRC meetings, but dont
know exactly how, heres is a long and short version of how to:

IMC Tech folks have written up how-to's about IRC and they are very
helpful, albeit long and sometimes hard to understand if you dont
already have a grasp.  Tp read that how-to (this is the long version) go
here:  http://docs.indymedia.org/view/Sysadmin/IrcHowTo

The short version which may have holes, but should work would be:
1.  go to chat.indymedia.org
2.  fill out the fields on this page:
     nickname:  choose a nickname that is descriptive of you but unique,
generrally folks use something like "bht_pdx"
     alt:  in the off chance that the nick you choose is already in use,
this is where you would put an alternative name
     real:  you can change this or leave this, i dont think it makes a
difference.
     extra channels:  be sure to type this (without the quotes)   "#us"
3.  below there is a list of other channels and the channel "#indymedia"
is marked for you to join, i would uncheck that box
4.  click the chat button

everything else can be left untouched.

this will load a java interface live chat room, there will be a field
towards the bottom where you can type in what you want to say and hit
enter for it to send along.  on the right will be a list of names and
those are the folks in the channel.  I think that should do it.

also, for everyone, http://docs.indymedia.org/view/Global/ImcIRC  a few
tips on irc meetings.

ciao.
bh

ps.  if this doesnt help at all for some folks, let me know and i can
write up something more detailed....or find previous write ups :-)