[IMC-US] An indymedia strategy session at the Urbana-Champaign Barnraising: Nov 11-13

Todd Wolfson twolfson1998 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 2 13:41:13 CST 2005

Call for participation:
An indymedia strategy session at the Urbana-Champaign
radio barnraising

* * * Post responses to
http://www.ucimc.org/newswire/display/101957/index.php
or email to amylorraine at phillyimc.org * * *

IMCistas!

As you may have heard, radioheads and IMCistas will be
converging on
Urbana-Champaign next weekend to help launch the
UC-IMC low power radio
station, the first IMC to have a low power FM license!
The UC-IMC will
also open its new space - in the downtown post office.

At 3pm on Friday we'll pause in our labor and take
some time to look at
the successes and challenges the global indymedia
network is facing. We
hope someone from your IMC will be there to represent!

Here are some questions for consideration:

   - What are the biggest successes that the IMCs
represented have
experienced? What about the biggest challenges?

- Who is using Indymedia today and to what ends? Is
Indymedia its own
movement? How can it be integrated (or at least better
integrated) into
struggles for justice - locally, regionally, and
globally?

   - How can we build indymedia sites into a daily,
online alternative
to local newspapers, with regular, reliable coverage?
What technology
and infrastructure is needed? What innovations are
various IMCs
pursuing
to this end?

   - How can we better syndicate and share regional
news?

   - What role can topic pages play in increasing the
reach of
indymedia? How well are we using categorization
technology that is
currently available to us?

   - How can we better share resources and knowledge?
Is there interest
in starting a movement of hosting one another for a
period of time - an
"Indymedia Activist Exchange"? What about an exchange
between IMCs and
related movements? What would we need to sustain this?

- How could we build an economic base to support
indymedia makers?
What
would an online or regional version of Free Speech
Radio News look like
where freelance contributors were paid? Can we
facilitate the starting
of media coops to provide high paying, part-time work
to indymedia
makers? Would this be a good direction for indymedia
to take?

In addition to the big session, there will be an
opportunity to
organize
follow up caucuses as there is interest.

If you are planning to come, make sure you register by
the deadline of
November 6. Click here to get to the registration page
or for more info
on the barnraising:
http://www.prometheusradio.org/urbana/

Also, let us know you're coming by giving a shout out
HERE:
http://www.ucimc.org/newswire/display/101957/index.php
-- or dropping
an
email. Whether you can come or not, please add any
additional questions
or discussion points you have.

Cheers,<br>
Danielle Chynoweth, UC-IMC