[Imc] Human Rights Radio Shutdown

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Mon Dec 4 17:19:47 UTC 2000

Here's a few details on the Human Rights Radio--Mbanna Kantako in
Springfield--shutdown last week from Mike Townsend:

At 11:15 AM Thurs.,Nov.30,the FCC agents of repression raided Mbanna
Kantako's Human Rights Radio for the 2nd time in less than 2 months. Before
coming to the door,the FCC had a private contractor scale Kantako's 2 story
rental home to disconnect and remove his 2 antennas. Apparently, they
didn't like the fact that Kantako broadcast the 1st five minutes of the
last raid (on 9/29/00) "live" on-the-air before the raiders realized what
was going on. This time the Matrix Police sent only 8 members of their
multi-jurisdictional task force into the home. They were so polite that
when Mbanna's wife,Dia,demanded that they remove their shoes before
stepping into her livingroom, to steal the equipment, they meekly complied!
Despite the fact that Mbanna was in direct violation of a federal court
order not to broadcast,there was no attempt to arrest him. Mbanna and his
family took it all in stride as they audio taped the entire 45 minute
intrusion into the privacy of their home. Mbanna intends to get back on-the
air just as soon as he receives the necessary equipment from supporters
around the country. Meanwhile,the federal marshall's office is running
short on space to store the radio loot from their raids on Human Rights
Radio. Stay tuned. Mike Townsend
I'll try to get an interview and do a report on my WEFT show Sunday at
10:00am--I'll archive whatever I do on my website (and for the IMC archives):
http://www.lll.uiuc.edu/p-riism/rfc
http://www.diy-radio.com

--Paul