[Imc] The IMC Film Festival

Zachary C.Miller wolfgang at wolfgang.groogroo.com
Tue Dec 12 00:26:41 UTC 2000

On the topic of showing films I wanted to just put some names out
there and get them into the list archives so next time we are thinking
about this there is a starting place. (and mostly I just like writing
these kinds of lists).

The unifying theme of these movies is that they all cover aspects of
our recent history that don't get talked about. These are things that
the IMC would have reported about if it existed. These are all based
on true stories.

The summaries all come from IMDb

Matewan
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0093509
Plot Outline: A labor union organizer comes to an embattled mining
community brutally and violently dominated and harassed by the mining
company.

Reds
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0082979
Plot Outline: Writing has been the only escape of Louise Bryant until
she goes to a lecture one night in 1912 and is mesmerized by a radical
journalist, John Reed...the only American to be buried next to the
Kremlin wall. ... This movie tells the true story of John Reed, a
radical American journalist around the time of World War I.

Norma Rae
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0079638
Plot Outline: A young single mother and textile worker agrees to help
unionize her mill despite the problems and dangers involved.

The Insider
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0140352
Plot Outline: True story of tobacco executive-turned-whistleblower
Jeffrey Wigand and his relationship with "60 Minutes" producer Lowell
Bergman.

Erin Brockovich
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0195685
Plot Outline: A research assistant (Roberts) helps an attorney
(Finney) in a lawsuit against a large utility company blamed for
causing an outbreak of cancer and other illnesses in a small
community.

Silkwood
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0086312
Plot Outline: The story of Karen Silkwood, a nuclear reactor worker
who might have been murdered to prevent her expose of wrongdoing at
the power plant.

Incident at Oglala
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0104504
Plot Outline: On June 26, 1975, during a period of high tensions on
the Pine Ridge reservation in South Dakota, two FBI agents were killed
in a shootout with a group of Indians. This film describes the events
surrounding the shootout and suggests that Peltier was unjustly
convicted.

Panther
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0114084
Plot Outline: A dramatized account of the story of The Black Panther
Party of Self-Defense.

The Thin Blue Line
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0096257
Plot Outline: A film that successfully argued that a man was wrongly
convicted for murder by a corrupt justice system in Dallas County,
Texas.

Mumbia Abu-Jamal: A Case for Reasonable Doubt?
http://us.imdb.com/Ratings?0119728
Plot Outline: Documentary of the Mumia case.

Woodstock (The Director's Cut)
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0114979
Plot Outline: The film chronicle of the legendary 1969 music festival.

Malcolm X
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0104797
Plot Outline: The biopic of the controversial and influential Black
Nationalist leader.

IMSA 1995 - UIUC 2000 - Just Another Leftist Muppet
Ya Basta! - http://www.greens.org