[Imc] complaints and proposals

Brian Hagy bhagy at onthejob.net
Sat Dec 16 15:08:12 UTC 2000

In order to be productive, i'm dividing this email into two parts, one
called complaints, the other called proposals.

Complaints (deep concerns):

It has come to my attention that a significant change is occuring at CLAM.
The board new about it and a few staff new about it (those few staff are
also part of the board meetings).  No one inform the staff of CLAM about
this change.  This change is that CLAM is hiring a new director (not to
replace Molly, but to work with Molly).  Interviews are being held for
this position today.  No one from CLAM was invited to either apply for the
position, nor participate in the interview process.  Thus, i feel
decisions are being made for CLAM without getting any input from CLAM.  If
decisions are going to be made by the board and a few select staff, then
what will the role of the entire staff (those who are passionate about
CLAM) play?  Will we become mere drones, filling the offered classes, but
unable to help shape CLAM?  DSC, a not-for-profit agency for which i work,
already operates this way, and has a hell of a time keeping staff (which
is why i'm getting my department to change so that staff become necessary,
not just workers).  CLAM will not be able to survive if we can't keep
people interested in teaching.

Proposals:

First, board meetings need to publicized as to when they meet.  I was
under the impression that an email would be sent announcing dates and
times.  Since this hasn't happened, i've been thinking the board hasn't
been meeting (which helps my surprise/anger to find out that not only have
they been meeting but also making decisions which will directly affect
CLAM without getting input from CLAM....CLAM is not, hence, the board!).
Also, a constraint should be put upon the board that if they are going to
recommend a change to to CLAM, that it be put out on email so that people
who either can't or don't want to attend the board meetings have a chance
to put their voice into the conversation.  Thus, the board is not able to
make decisions without input from CLAM (at least not on things which
change how CLAM operates, especially the hiring of people....why were no
CLAM staff invited to apply...oh, wait, that's a complaint, sorry).

Second, all hiring of staff should be put to the staff of CLAM, not the
board.  The staff are the folks who would have to actually work with any
hired staff.  What would happen if this director doesn't get along with
some of the staff...do the staff leave?  does the director leave?  We need
to have some sort of mechanism which would allow other options to be more
desireable, other than personnel leaving.

I realize that this email comes a bit too late, considering that the
interviewing began at 9 AM this Saturday morning.  I just hope that those
who considered themselves important enough to handle this interview
process without the involvement of all (or any interested) CLAM staff hire
someone who will be able to get along with those CLAM staff not allowed to
participate.  I would hate to see CLAM die because CLAM was no longer
inviting to the staff to participate.

i'm hoping this email will solicite lots of needed responses.  I'm I wrong
for being mad at how this whole thing is occuring?  Is there any helpful
use to leaving staff out of certain key decisions?

Thanks,
brian hagy